Stump---"A Fierce Pancake"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by winston, May 2, 2001.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Anyone else out there a Stump fan? I cherish my vinyl copy of this clanging, loopy album which features the guttural fretless Wal exploits of Kev Hopper. Stump were strange in the way that Primus or Captain Beefheart or Howlin' Wolf were strange, because they were born a little bit demented. Any of you Brits see Stump back in the day (1988) or know what Kev is up to these days?
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Now there's a blast from the past - I've not heard that album since '88 - my best friend at school had it I borrowed it for ages. Great stuff! :oops:)

No idea what they are up to now...

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Kev Hopper released an album sometime in 2000 called "Whispering Foils." It is on the Drag City label and Sean O'Hagan and Charles Haywood also played on the album.

Your post made me curious, so I looked up Hopper on the Internet. This is the only information I could find.

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Loved that band. I was really disappointed that they didn't do more together, but I was delighted that they got to put out at least the one disc. I've not heard another band in which each player approached his instrument in such a totally idiosyncratic way, yet it all sounded so natural, organic and right when put together. OK, so us ugly Americans get bashed on Buffalo. But hey, some of us deserve it. Primus, Laundry and a few others have a similar off-kilter quality, but nobody nailed it quite like Stump.
  5. Spoombung

Oct 3, 2004
    Hi guys

hey, I did that sad thing and tped my name in Google and that led me here..

If you want to hear a bass album like no other check 1998's 'Spoombung'. you can hear Mp3s at:

I've neglected the bass of late - it's gathering dust under my bed. But I'm still making albums-although nothing like Stump!

All the best

Kev Hopper