stumpy didgits

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Dec 14, 2001.

1. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    hiya, i know that to optimise the speed and 'mastering the craft and all that' i need to use all of my fingers on all of my hands (2 of them anyway :) ) so i have my fretting hand fixed, i even manage to use my pinky, despite the fact that my ickle girly fingers are really small, this is where the problem is when i try to use all 4 on my right hand. i am starting to get the hand of encorporating my ring finger, but i am having great difficulty with my pinky.
    have any of you encountered this problem? did you just make do with your other 3 or did you get extensions or somehting?
    also which little ditties do you recommend to improve all finger usage of the right hand??

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Check out "Hanging Ten" and see how it sounds to you -

It works for some people who stick with it.

Also, I don't know what the necks and fingerboard curvatures are like on your basses, but there have been some threads past threads on TB about "fastest necks" that may be informative.

With practice and properly setup, "small-finger-friendly" bass design, dimunitive digits shouldn't hold you back.

A friend of mine was a semi-bigtime bluegrass guitarist, (those guys have to really run around the frets). He said one of the fastest pickers he ever saw was a guy with what looked almost like stumps for fingers. But the guy had a slim, asymmetrical- necked guitar with a high curvature fingerboard and a short scale.

More importantly, he had great economy of motion.
  4. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    thanks for the replies, i hav ebeen told that my bass has quite a wide neck, it is a tengelwood rebel, although i guess it was maybe quite a good idea to start of on this as it means that when i now play my fretless which has a narrower neck, i am quite fats and strecth well
  5. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I wouldnt worry about using your pinky for plucking.
    Most of the greats use only 2. You can get serious speed with 2 fingers and it will sound more even.
    Personly I dont see how you can get an even sound using your pinky to pluck. Even using 3 you can hear 3 slightly different tones.
    That hanging ten article is a joke. The whole thing with taping up your fingers. Maybe it worked for that guy but I dont think that would work for most people. Just my opinion.
  6. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I just read that guys article again.

Ok, Just to show you how incompetent that guys is.
    He calls 2 finger pizzicato playing walking bass!