1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stung by wasp on right thumb pad. 4 set gig tomorrow night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lia_G, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Great. I grabbed a mop from the garage to mop the floor inside. Happened to be a wasp sitting on the handle, and it stung the pad of my right thumb. Haven't been stung since I was a kid, and this hurt way more than I remembered! I've been icing it, which seems to help. Took some ibuprofen too.

I have a 4 set show to play tomorrow night, and the right thumb hurts like crazy. Hopefully it will fade overnight. And at least this show is all fingerstyle, on electric. I would hate to have to play any slap right now, or play the upright! And I'm glad it wasn't on my left hand.

Just had to vent a little.

Oh, and take my advice: don't grab wasps. It doesn't work out too well.

Liam

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    benedryl...it helps the allergic reaction. That, and makes you feel great according to a certain TBer

3. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Side effects:

-Extreme bursts of narcissism
    -Snuggie fetish

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Quickly learn to not have to anchor your thumb while playing. This also helps when playing on basses without good pickups as thumb rests.

5. Try holding your thumb in some vinegar. It's probably too late to neutralise the reaction. So also try some antihistamine if there is any hint of allergy there.

Paracetamol for the pain and ibrufen for the swelling should help a lot.

Could also try one of those creams that is a mild anisthetic.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Take some Motrin a couple of hours before the gig. It'll help the inflammation. Other than that, 24 hours will probably have it fade a good deal already.

On the same topic, don't hit a tree when a squirrel is on a branch right over your head.

7. Another avenue of thought, if it is still giving you some problems tomorrow, wrap some zinc oxide tape around your thumb, that should help a bit :)

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. It feels a lot better this morning.

I can play without anchoring if I need to as well ... one benefit to having started my stringed instrument career on classical guitar ... ;)

Thanks!
    Liam

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If this ever happens again, make a paste of baking soda and lemon juice, and coat the sting with it. Leave it until completely dried, and then rinse it off. This is excellent! It draws out the sting, very quickly. I use it for all kinds of insect stings/bites.

Cherie

10. I'd just go with lemon juice (or vinegar, anything acidic really) for wasp stings.

Bicarbonate soda (baking powder/soda) is alkali and great for bee stings :)

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What were you doing, training under Mr. Miyagi? Even then, why did you stop using the chopsticks?

:D

-Mike

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did anyone mention to take benadryl?

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    dont be a woman, amputate the thumb.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We always put tobacco on stings. Wet it and put it right on top of it. I can't explain it but it works every time.

15. Yup, it DOES work.

16. since you mention it, yesterday I did what kaiser calls an accute amputation, which means I cut part of my left middle finger off yesterday with my pocket knife. It took a good chunk of skin off so I dont know how I am going to practice tommorrow.

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    why did you do that?

18. accident, It sucked at practice today not being able to use my left middle finger.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Smells like estrogen in here.