Stupid amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz Fretboard, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Hi there,

After reading as much as I could about amps, and pricing the "names", I've come to the conclusion that at the moment, I just cannot afford to buy one. Now, it occurs to me that I can build my own, there are enough design schematics out there to reproduce just about any amp I want. Given enough time and the proper parts, I could build my own Fender, Crate, or Mesa copy, couldn't I? Would it be as expensive as off the shelf?

Here's the stupid question: why is good gear so damned expensive?? I can understand there would be a difference in parts quality, eg a 5% tolerance resistor might be cheaper than a 2% tolerance, etc. I can also understand there would be labour issues involved but £300.00 for a cab that is essentially 3/4 inch plywood and a speaker?? £600 for an amp head?? :eek:

Is it simply what the market will bear, supply and demand and all that? Or is there something unique about how an amp is constructed, or the quality of the parts that justifies this price. Don't they use the same parts we can all buy off the shelf? (it isn't Mil spec by any chance, is it? THAT would explain everything.)

Don't get me wrong. I play, and I'm fairly good at it...just that no one can hear me. :)
  2. Right on Phsyco. "Buy used" Or learn to fix it. I just got the Ampeg B25 sounding good for free.And had a litle fun.
    Rock on Benton
  3. Psycho,

You make a good point about R&D and overhead, something I hadn't quite considered fully, but surely the technology of an amp is not much different from any other. DVD for example, was expensive to begin with, now you can buy a DVD player pretty cheap. CPUs for PCs are expensive once introduced, but come down in price after a while once demand is there. Now that I think about it, is it because, I wonder, that there ISN'T so much of a demand for amps that keeps the prices high.

Ah well.

This is the problem you face when you live in an area with no decent bass teachers, no reasonable source for gear, and 10 squillion pub and club bands all screaming for bassists. Gotta love the West County.

4. Just want to point out that ISO9000 is nothing to do with slave labour or not!!! It is the international standard series dealing with Quality Systems!!!Other than that your post points to the ultimate evil - labour!

Remember that labour costs figure in indirect overheads - like the people that manage those building the amps, those that take orders, those that purchase the parts, those that create the payroll for all of these people!!! Building amps is like any other business that provides a product!!! And also they look to turn a profit so that they can invest in their future!
  5. I have a used Traynor head. I got a great deal on it. It is all tube power and has enough power to play with the Marshell amps my friends have. As for the cab, I build all mine.