Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid amp related question of the day...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 20, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, maybe its not stupid... Maybe I just FEEL stupid asking, because as much as I obsess on crap I read here,, I feel like I SHOULD know already...

Anyway, at some point in the future, maybe a year or so away, I will start trying to land a gig. Presently, I'm just playing thru my combo, & playing a ficticious setless. What really got me thinking about this is, that "Dream Rig" thread... I thought about it,, & I don't have any idea...

Thus begins my quest.

After all this time I've spent here, the one thing I've never done is shop for cabs... I'm fairly certain I'll go w/ a pre/power solution. Likely a Sansamp RBI, & some variety of QSC poweramp.

My current ficticious set list includes stuff ranging from, Metallica, & Megadeth,,, to RCHP, RATM,,, back to Eagles, Cheap Trick, ZZ Top, STP, Staind, Smile Empty Soul, even some Blink, NFG, or GC. All over the board really,, but mostly centered around Rock...

Where should I start my search for cabs... There's the obvious, Aguilar, EA, Eden, etc... There's the economy route, Avatar, & Dr Bass. There's the new kid on the block,, Schroeder...

Keep in mind, I'm NOT in a hurry, as I'm a year or so out... Just looking for some pimped advice from some guys out there doing it...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have always had much success with my Eden cabs. I had a 410XLT, 115XLT, and now a Metro.

I have played large outdoor festivals, in barns, at weddings, small coffee shops, and bars. Never an issue finding a good tone with any of the above cabs.

-Mike

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know what's available in your area, but you should try EVERYTHING that you can get at. The stuff you might pass on just because someone on TalkBass said bad things about might be a great cabinet for you.

Then as you're getting closer, it might be worth a trip to a bass-only shop...Low Down Sound NW of Detroit, or Bass Central in FLA or BassNW in Seattle, etc. I've been to Low Down Sound and BassNW (making the most of business trips and family vacations) and BassNW had much, much more gear. Low Down Sound is great too because they sell some high end stuff (Accugroove, Bergantino, Epifani) as well as more familiar stuff, Ampeg, Hartke and they have their own line of custom made cabinets.

From the Schroeder thread, it would be well worth your while to check those out too...perhaps Jorg will have branched out more by then. Being in Ohio, Tom Bowlus will probably have one or two of every Schroeder by the time you get to serious shopping so you could ask him for help :D

Revisiting my first paragraph, I whole heartedly recommend following Petebass' sig. line, something like "Listen with your ears, not your eyes" and you might be surprised which cabinet/cabinets are right for you.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, that's just the problem Billy...

Here, in Columbus, we've got a GC, an SA, a couple of local shops that carry Ampeg, Fender, SWR, Peavey,, all normal, average stuff. One shop carries some Eden stuff, this one can GET different stuff, but doesn't "carry" it. So I'm destined to travel, which is why I'm asking for opinions from folks w/ similar styles, & stuff.

Truth be told, I could/should be content to start w/ setups from the above manufacturers... BUT, when I see so many guys going above & beyond to find THIER cabs (which I know I must ultimately do) I just wanna draw from thier research...

Thx for reminding me about LowDown Sound up north, I might have to drive up check those out.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, a used Eden from the 'bay should suit you nicely. 4x10XLT would rock for any of those apps.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    McHack... I live near Chicago (the land that offers seemingly everything...) and I know what you're saying... We have three GCs, three Sam Ashes, I know of an Eden dealer near work (they had an Ashdown cabinet last time I was there), but that's about it.

Until I took a business trip to Detroit, I hadn't seen and had never played through any boutique cabinets (Epifani, Aguilar, Bergantino, Accugroove, etc.).

Perhaps it's time for a road trip...find a cheap plane ticket to Seattle...enjoy a nice RedHook ESB (or similar), some fresh seafood, take in the EMP and spend some serious time trying out everything at Bass NW. I remember the first time I walked in that store...basses and bass gear floor to very tall ceiling...everything from budget instruments to Foderas, Alembics, etc. hanging on the wall and more top of the line bass cabinets than my cliche' slinging Father-in-Law could shake a stick at!

Make it fun!!!

7. An RBI and QSC PLX and avatar 2x12 and 2x10 would kill at a gig.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You're right Bryan, they probably would...

I have two Avatar B210s (one rear ported and one front ported) and a pair of homebuilt EV TL606 cabinets with EVMs in them. I recently sold my Avatar B212s because I really like the sound of my 2x10/1x15 stacks better...but it's all good.

I was just about to buy a pair of Acme B4s when I borrowed a pair of B2s to compare to an Avatar B210 + Bartoogie 1x15. I found the Acmes to sound wonderful, deeper (surprisingly though only a little) and much clearer. BUT, for the cost difference...I realized that I'm still very happy with the cabs that I have!

Last weekend, I picked up a nice used Hartke HA-5000. My at home testing was quite eye opening. I cannot believe how loud and toneful the Hartke/Avatar/Bartoogie (1 each) rig is...with "just" 170 watts per cabinet (vs. 425 watts per cabinet when using my PLX2402 at 8 ohms per channel).

All this leads me back to the first thing that I wrote (earlier in this thread)...try EVERTHING, you never know what you'll truly like!!!

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea... I was thinking about something like that Kaz,,,seems as tho the avatar stuff is already inexpensive enough, that it doesn't really drop off in price much.... Seems like a safe purchase. Plus, inexpensive enough, that paying for that route isn't a huge deal.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's amazing what you find when you do a search on your own name every now and again! :smug:

First off, I don't own any Schroeder cabs... yet! They do look very intriguing, though.

Second, McHack, if you are anywhere near Fremont, Ohio (it's up north, near Port Clinton and Cedar Point), I would be happy to meet up with you sometime and let you try anything in my arsenal. So far, I have a smattering of cabs from EA, Accugroove, Epifani, ACME, Mesa Boogie, Raezer's Edge, Hevos, Dr. Bass, and others.

Third, I also heartily recommend Low Down Sound in Detroit. It's the only bass only store in our area, and they have a great selection of gear. The staff is very helpful, and their prices are quite fair. In addition, Don makes some extremely good custom cabs. I definitely need to add one or two of his cabs to The Collective! :eyebrow: His 3x8 just blows me away.

Above and beyond that, sometimes you just read up as much as you can, make an educated guess, and blindly order something over the Internet. That's how I became an EA junkie!!! :p

Again, I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime and let you try out whatever you wanted.

Later, Tom.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That'd be really cool,, I'm down here in Columbus. My wife is travel-challenged. She can't deal w/ long car trips, & if I were to come up, I know she'd wanna come... However, when I get closer to this, I assure you I'll find a way to come up.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I get down to Columbus on a pretty regular basis. I spent 7 years at OSU, and worked in Columbus for 4 more years after that. One of my bands is based out of Columbus (Gingley JoH, formerly known as Big Deal), although we actually play up here more often than we do in Columbus.

A month or so back, I loaded up a bunch of my EA cabs and drove down the Fifth Avenue Fret Shop (great little shop!) to let Phil Maneri give some of them a go. Needless to say, Phil is now also a hopeless EA fanatic (though I'm sure he won't part with his SVT anytime soon!).

So, if I could work it in with one of our increasingly infrequent band practices, I could actually meet you at your place sometime and bring along whatever you want to hear (within reason - it has to fit in an Audi station wagon!).

Later, Tom.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Cool! That'd be great! Just let me know. For a first rig, AND I'm trying to be cost conscience, but get the best sound I can at the same time.

I was planning on heading over to Phil's today for lunch, as he's got my parts bass, right now. Great guy, great shop!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What's your budget?

15. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ampeg. Theres a reason its the most used amp company. For every naysayer youll find 10 people that praise ampeg. Not dissing on anything else but ive tried alot of other stuff, depends on what sound you like. I tried edens. They were ok but i coulndt justify a price like that for what it sounded like to me. If you want something that sounds more hi-fiy i played an EA the other day and was blown away.

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, that's open for discussion... I haven't even pimped this to my wife, but she knows its down the road..

In my mind, I'm trying to keep total rig expenditure around 1k... including pre/pwr... figuring I can probably grab an 850RMX of the bay for around 200, & either an RBI, a BMax or an SVP Pro, for 250-300'ish... that leaves me w/ around $500 for cabs, if I stay within the 1k realm. I'm DEFINATELY planning on purchasing piece at a time, you know, spread it out,,, so its not so drastic,, all at once... I realize 500 for cabs is a little thin. But, I can probably manuveur the purchase spacing to my advantage, when the time comes.

I'm gonna be 41, & I do work to try & stay fit... still able to bench my body weight & stuff... So, I can heft a cab, but who wants to... if you don't have to.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    USED
    lol
    Joker had the right idea imho - getting something off of e-bay or here (check bassgear too)
    not that you shouldnt try stuff out - you should. Just that there are a lot of great deals on used stuff
    as long as you get a rig that will put 300-400 watts into the cabinets you eventually get you should be ok for a long time
    Heck, it's not really in vouge anymore but if i was in your shoes i bet i could pick up an SRW sm-400 and 8 ohm goliath 2 for less than 1k - 400 watts into 410s, put a sans amp di in front of it and you'd warm up that chilly sound big time

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I agree that looking for a good deal used is the way to go. See what piece you come up with first, and take it from there. Lots of good deals are out there, and this is how I have bought most of my gear. If I were going to buy cabs new, though, I would seriously consider Dr. Bass or Low Down Sound. These are not "cheap" cabs at all. Just inexpensive. I own a custom 2x10 and a custom 1x15 from Dr. Bass, and these cabs are very, very good. In addition, I have played through 8 or so of Don's cabs up at Low Down Sound, and they will compete with the big dawg's, too. Plus, he'll build a cab to your desires (and make it work, too!), which is nice.