Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Audition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 9, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I go against my better judgement and let this guy talk me into auditioning for him. I love rock, but dont like to play it out much since the clubs dont pay you that well for it.

Anyways, I did'nt bother to do my homework and relearn any of the songs required of me. I figure Ive done most of them many times in the past it'll all come back to me. *which it did*. I also let them know I didnt bother to brush up on any of the material. The drummer then barks at me (before we even played a single note) "You should come to an audition prepared." Im thinking to myself, yeah he's right, but **** um from what I can tell from him just tinkering around free styling he sucks anyways.

We commence to playing the list, and it starts commin back to me, so after 6 songs the singer *who sucked* tells me that he'll call me wednesday and that it sounded good. The drummer was bitchin about my flubbed notes. So I tell them, nah, dont bother man, this kinda music just is'nt what I thought you did or what I wanna do and because I know it just doesnt pay well.

The drummer chases me down outside to ask me why I dont wanna play with them. I said, well like you said, Its good to come to an audtion prepared, and Im sorry, but you guys didnt pass my audition. I didnt care for the musicianship or the music itself. So he starts going off on me, tellin me this, that and the other thing, the whole time Im just smiling, and say, well maybe, but you're still bass playerless, then got in my truck and left.

I found it a bit odd that he couldnt grasp the context of why I was auditioning them as well.

Heres a bunch of guys tellin me how pro their gear is and that it was, and how professional and good they were and that they werent.

Moral of the story, never believe anything you hear (which I usually dont, so I dunno why I bought into this guys BS on the phone) and always be prepared for an audition no matter how trivial or easy you think it's gonna be because your name and reputation are still on the line.

BTW this isnt for the one band I posted about the other day about jazz/top 40 stuff. That ones tomorrow which Im totally prepared for. ;)

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Thats a good story. I enjoyed how you said "you didn't pass MY audition" very cool IMO

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    True.

When I go to an audition, Im usually more concerned with what I think of them then what they think of me.

I usually do pretty good as long as they dont play at insane tempos, but more often than not, Im not happy with the band. Sometimes its the music, but more often its the attitude.

Peace
    Nick

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This story is half-cool. OK, maybe two-thirds.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    [​IMG]

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Woop woop.

But back on topic..... about 85 percent of the bands i tryed out for were horrible, either with attitude or music. just the way it goes i guess.

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i try not to audition for something that i know sucks for lack of a more simple explaination. this was not the case in your situation. you had no way of knowing. **** happens, right? Sorry to hear about your bad experience and good luck with the other audition.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    So, let me get this straight - the drummer got all snippy because you didn't practice playing "You Really Got Me", "Addicted to Love", and "Start Me Up", then he was pissed because you flubbed some notes, then proceeded to chase after you to ask YOU why YOU didn't want to play with THEM?

HAHAHAHA!

Sounds like this band has some SERIOUS insecurity issues!

"I think he SUCKS, but I'm INSULTED that he doesn't want to play with US!"

(Note to Mama Cass - I'm sure you DON'T suck, and I'm not trying to imply that you do - I'm just satirizing what I think what was going on in that idiot drummer's mind. :D )

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Auditions go both ways. There has to be SOME chemistry.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Good story. I really have never auditioned for anyone that bad. Though one time, I sent an e-mail in response to an ad. The guy told me to call him, so I did. We talked awhile and he seemed cool. He kept beating around the bush though on what style of music they wanted to play. He just said, maybe like some Incubus and that kind of stuff. So I thought, "Hey, I dig Incubus, maybe this will be cool". So one day, he calls me about my homework for the audition, right away he says "How you Remind me" by, Nickleback. I'm thinking, all right, cool, I dig Nickleback. Then he goes on and says to learn some Disturbed, Linkin Park and SOAD. I think to myself, "Whoa, this is not my style of music". Well, I didn't want to be rude, since we got this far in and just be like, "No, I don't want to play that stuff", so I decide to at least go down and jam anyway. I really never played the music so I thought maybe I could try to get into it. Well, after the 2nd tune, I had already made up my mind, there was no way I could stand on stage for 2 1/2 hours a night and play this. After about an hour of jamming, we went outside to talk. They asked me what I thought, and I told them straight up that the music was very boring for me to play. They seemed kind of disappointed. The singer went on and told me their goals, their credentials, ect. They were worrying about demographics and things of that nature. (i.e. the average club goer is between 23 and 35 ect.) I really wasn't into that. Then the drummer asked if they called me the next day, could they get a commitment with me. Again, I was just straight up and said no. They were nice guys, but I just wasn't going to be untrue to me, or anybody else and force myself to play stuff that I just can't get into.

You know, speaking of chemsitry and putting bands together. I use to think that if you took a handful of good musicians and threw them in a room, that they were going to make great music. I learned that it just doesn't work that way. Getting 3 or 4 or 5 people who can share a common musical bond and create something beautiful is very rare. More rare than what I thought.

Though Gard has the best audition story with the chick who got mad and told that he would be delivering pizzas. :D

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    OMG, the singer called me tonight and told me that they would be going with another bassist instead of me. :rolleyes:

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Dude, Im sorry to hear that. I can tell youre disappointed.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Tuff luck dude, maybe next time you'll be more prepared. ;)

14. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    They must have read the "rock band hand book" (this is real, I'm sure someone else here has read it also.) It says call everyone after an audition and either, tell them they got the gig (obviously this is only one person), or let them down easy. It seems you were "let down" easy.