1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid auditions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fender_funk_man, Apr 28, 2009.

1. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    Sorry for the rant guys but this is starting to piss me off. I recently moved cities and as I'm sure many of you know its not easy starting from scratch in a new scene.

Audition comes around, I pick their material up quickly and efficiently. I provide my schedule that for the most part is pretty concrete.

Fast forward a month, practices are going well, I'm taking more of an active hand in the writing process. I have one of the better grasps of harmony in the band so I write bass lines that support vocal harmonys and provide reference points for vocals. They schedule a practice on tuesday night, originally i thought I could make it, however a work related problem came up and I couldnt make the practice. I gave more then 24 hours notice (granted not conveniant but life happens). A week later and i havent heard anything from anybody. I've been practicing and writing for this band for the entire period. On friday i get an e-mail stating that I'm am being kicked out of the band as my schedule doesnt mesh theirs.

Sweet, countless hours wasted that I could have been spent woodshedding or working on other projects.

2. If you get kicked out of a band because you can't make one practice, that's out of order. Maybe you could talk to one of the band members? If you explain how passionate you feel about this band then maybe they'll give you another try.

My experience with bands has been that when something bad happens, you just have to suck it up and act like it never happened, if you get back in.

If you're really out then it'll be ok. It sounds like you know your way around the strings, and tallented bassists are in high demand at the mo.

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Who do they think they are? I've been unable to make rehearsals several times.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Honestly, this sounds like a case where they were looking for a reason to kick you out at the first slightest mistake. I`ve never known a band to kick someone out for one missed practice.

I`d ask for a better excuse why they are kicking you out if you missed ONE practice, and gave notice 24 hours in advance(that`s more than I can say for any of my past experiences with people in general!). Tell em you`re sorry and that you couldn`t help it. S**t happens. If they still don`t understand, screw em. Not worth your time.

5. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Whats their side of the story,? either way you're out. Like girlfirends, there will be other bands. In the mean time keep fresh on your chops, when an opportunity comes around again go for it.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yeah, nothing was said about musicianship and talent or lack thereof. Seems like they just didn't see that you "fit" in with their click.

Hey, maybe they got their old bass player back or someone's friend became available so you would have been out anyways. They just picked this "schedule" nonsense and hung their hat on that.

IMO, it's time to move on.

Best of luck.

7. jeez.. real sticklers for attendance huh?

kind of ridiculous really, my guitarist misses at least half of all practices.. and there at his house!

8. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Hmmm, might be a problem of "perceived ego-clashing". They might not like a bass player with an in-your-face approach (stealing the spotlight) and might prefer a straight-eight roots bass line on all their work. Or they might just be a-holes and you're better off without them.

Either way it is not lost time, you spent time working on bass lines and arrangements and writing music. That in itself is great woodshedding in my book. As for the excuse they used, damn I'd have been kicked out of my band more than once for that: often due to work I have to give a 2-hour notice on the day of rehearsal. Which s*cks eggs.

9. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    The reason it irritates me so much is the fact that I gave them the same schedule on day one. Its not like I wasnt up front with my availability. You make a good point on the woodshedding thing, it is always good practice to arrange and write, just a piss of that I wont be using anything that I've written.

10. They just wanted to kick you out, nobody kicks someone out of a band for one missed rehearsal. Nobody but you can find out why they did that, maybe you were not what they were looking for, maybe it's your personnality that does not fit theirs, it could be anything.