Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid banana question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggleworm, Jun 19, 2003.

1. wiggleworm

wiggleworm

May 29, 2003
    http://www.qscaudio.com/images/hi_res/product_shot/rmx1850_bk.jpg

look at the two bright red speaker wire terminals marked "BRIDGE MONO"... the user manual calls these "binding posts"... are these the same thing as "Banana plugs"?

If this is true... let's say I want to power a single cabinet in bridge mono mode, and my cab only has a 1/4" input, can I get a cable that goes from 1/4" to 2 banana plugs? And then I plug them into the two red terminals?

thanks! ww

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Get a cable that goes from 1/4" to *one* banana plug. The one banana plug has two prongs, and when bridging the amp each prong will go into a red terminal.

3. Damn! I thought this thread was about fruit!:D

Now that reminds me, time for lunch...;)

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A follow-up to Fuzzbass's post: Make sure you know which is positive and which is negative.

jd

5. wiggleworm

wiggleworm

May 29, 2003
    thanks for your help; I'll give it a try!

mmmmm, bananas....

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi ww,

They are binding posts. The manual calls them that; they are not banana plugs, but they can be used with banana plugs. These are banana plugs:

[​IMG]

Page 17 of the manual shows how to use the binding posts, including with banana plugs.

7. Fuzz is right, but there is a little more to it.
    Make sure the positive + goes to the RED in channl ONE, and the negative - goes to the RED in Channel TWO. Don't forget to set the amp dip switch to bridged mode per your manual. Do you have an PLX or RMX ???

Also, someone else can chime in anytime.

I believe the TIP of the 1/4 connector is the positive and the SLEEVE is the negative. So, the wire going from the TIP would go to your Red+ Banana (or positive) and the wire from you SLEEVE
    would go to the Black- Banana. After that, as I said above you then plug the Red banana in Ch1 Red+ and the Black into Ch2 Red+. Both RED.

What this does is use both power sections of you amp know as Bridging. Don't feel bad, it can be confusing at first. I hope my explaination isn't confusing.

8. Fuzzbass

As others mentioned, knowing positive and negative is important.

That said, I have a question: if you're simply bridging to *one* cab and reverse the terminals, is it such a big deal if phase is inverted? Not trying to recommend it, just curious.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    If you're using only one cabinet and you invert the polarity, it's not a big deal.

10. Fuzzbass

Didn't think so, but I've had to unlearn a few long-held misconceptions over the past few years so I didn't want to assume anything.

Lesson for beginners is, always know your plus from your minus and you'll greatly reduce the risk of wiring multiple cabs out of phase.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Excellent advice!