Stupid BG Player Asking Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Hey all you hip upright cats, I was just wondering has anyone ever used effects with a DB?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I haven't, but I do know that quite a few of the more adventuresome have. I've had discussions with bassists calling me about pickups talk about using effects with them, some radical, some just a bit of chorus and echo. There are some players who don't use electronic effects but use more of the bass than just the normal string length, bow beneath the bridge and use various parts of the bass as more of a percussion instrument.

My soundcard is screwed up right now, but I seem to recall that Bassrespänse, a group of four double bassists, of which TalkBass member David Kaczorowski is a member, uses some off the wall techniques in their recordings. See and check them out to see if my memory is intact.
  3. I thought I read something (in the 80's) about John Patitucci (not sure about that) experimenting with some sort of flanger box and liking it so much that he ended up recording a tune with it.
  4. I sometimes use an EBS octabass on my upright. I heard Marc Johnson do this once. I will usually only use it in thumb position and when the gig dictates, probably not on a straight ahead Be-bop date!
  5. Cool! i want a DB! (Mr. X what are you doing here?!? i thought you quit!)
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    FF: If you want to hear some crazy effects with an electric upright, pick up a copy of Rob Wasserman's "Space Island". The title is fitting.
  7. What effect did Dave Spiker use during "The Day The Bass Players Took Over The World" (1996) for his arco work?
  8. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Okay, EUB I can understand seeking effects. I do not understand why you would try to effect the sound of a double bass. The beauty of a double bass, played pizz or arco is the double bass. The natural sound. Back me up here Don.
  9. Tim,

As Chris (Duurrrll) recently did, I attended Ray Brown's performance at a local jazz club last night. I have to admit that he was great. Does it make me or my teacher, who went with me, to change the direction of our focus. NO.

I truely appreciate the various styles of music today more than I ever have but I really love classical and have no desire to learn jazz or anything else at this time. Although, I have to admit, I'm thinking about giving Mr. Krackowskeee a run for his money on his style of music.

10. I've of mixed minds on this.
    Also, in my new role as moderator, I feel constrained from being glib, pissy and cranky.

Think "another" rather than "instead of." Effects are an addition to the sound range, not a substitute.
    The question is, as always, is it musical? Is the player exploiting the novel sound with tricks, music-store licks, etc., covering mediocre playing, like painting racing stripes on a used Pinto?
    On guitar, I've heard lines by Scofield which, if played on a classical guitar, would be heard as what they were: unimaginative, unremarkable. Vic Juris, on the other hand, uses effects as an integrated component of his musicality, completely outplaying Scofield in the process.

You have to admit a certain irony: For years, makers of amps and pickups have labored to be the one that reproduced the truly "natural" sound of the bass; and now, you can buy an amp with a distortion switch.

Once you begin processing sound, what constitutes the "quality" of the instrument takes on new meaning. Anyone who distorts a Bergonzi, Testore, etc. is disrespectful and a fool.

So, it's a big world, and anyone can choose what sounds to make, and anyone can choose what to listen too.

In my truly humble opinion. Anyone who disagrees may report me to Chris "The Terminator" Fitzgerald.
  11. Hey, not so fast, HeeHaw. I mostly play jazz. But if you start doing a bassrespanse kinda thing let me know how you make out. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell's going on there.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And to think I was worried that after farmerdude's last editorial/graphic, people were gonna start calling me "Tigger"...

Higdon la Vista, BABY. :cool:
  13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Wow, MAD FUQUA DISEASE is spreading like a VIRUS all over the board. First, ROGER THE BRUCE does it, and now GOLIATH KACZSXDFSJHDHFZDASD picks up the gauntlet. Never thought I'd see the day...

This is gonna be fun.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hey, Charlie Haden has recorded with a wha pedal so I say go for it :)

I heard a radio concert by Jazz Mandolin Project and their DB player was using lots of electronics. Without seeing him, hard to tell if he had an acoustic DB with pickup or an EUB.

My personal experience playing the DB in a folk/punk ensemble was that use of effects simply adds to the feedback beast.

15. I tried. We will still luv'ya as "The Terminator".
    Maybe Bob's sister can make you a special quiver for that sawed off shotgun....
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Miroslav Vitous uses effects liberally on Weather Report albums like Mysterious Traveller and I'm not sure it always works. I've heard that Eberhard Weber's use of effects on DB is very creative, but I've only heard him playing "straight" on Jan Garbarek albums?

Mike Watt mentioned in his forum how he doesn't think that the longer wavelengths of bass notes are suited to effects - I think what he's getting at is that most common effects are cyclic, based on oscillators and the "effect" (sic) of using two slow repeating waves together, tends to cancel each other out. So like on the Weather Report stuff, you can hear at some points, all the bass or bottom end disappearing - despite the fact that they are presumably using high quality studio units.

I also think that with most effects, the actual sound you are hearing or noticing is in the part of the audio spectrum where bass isn't!

So I used to play electric keyboards and guitar as well as bass in some bands and cheap effects would really liven up some sterile sounding electronic keyboards; but they would just add noise and take away the bottom end from bass.

I also tend to think that effects obscure the subtleties of right hand technique in playing bass - so if you'e a BG player who only plays with a plectrum, then this isn't so much of an issue, but otherwise I think you're alway losing something.
  17. Anyone????
  18. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hey FORMERDUDE, checked out your website. Nice playing. I grew up in Kentucky, I knew a guy (not well) by the same name. You aren't a "Durrl 2" are you?
  19. Nope, I's, the other brother Durrl. "Durrl 3"
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm confused. Who's Larry???