Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid CEB-3 tricks

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seanm, Jul 23, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Really crank the low filter: 8:30 to 9:00. Now set level/rate/depth to taste: try 12:00 to start. Now play Free's "All Right Now".

When you get to the guitar solo, the "bump ba bump ba bumpa bumpa" stays nice and clean but the "doo dah doo dah" part get a nice chorus that really emphasizes the difference.

I just got the CEB-3. Anybody know any other good tricks?

2. Heh, for my two hand tapping of Star Trek's old theme (stu hamm arrangement) I like to max out everything (rate, level, etc.) and completely cut the low end, so the bass notes are, well, bass, and the high notes are that vintage cheesy 60's vibrato voice tone from the original show:-D

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah! I do that for tapping Walking on the Sun, by Smashmouth. The chords (two-note) come out like a Farfesia organ or something, and the bass line is solid.

There's a just-right setting on the filter knob for it - I believe it's just a hair past 9:00, like "9:10". I usually use the highest bassline note to tune it in; dial it up until the vibrato just almost dissapears - that still leaves plenty way up there past the octave on the G-string.

Joe

4. Two hand tapping walking on the sun...I like that idea:)

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Picture it; it's pretty easy.

The bass line part is all little two-fret slides - "bah-rum, bah-rum, bah-rum, bah-rum" - and the 'chords' can just be two different two-noters. I use a '1-3', then a barred-across '5-1' like "(rest), bap, bap-bap; (rest), bap, bap-bap...". Both the 'bap-baps' are the one-finger-barred straight-across one, so it falls into place pretty easy.

...and people'll think you're a bass-genius - oy.

Seeya -

Joe

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Found another one. "It's A Heartache" by Bonnie Tyler. Set the low filter all the way to the left. Set the chorus to taste. Now the little upper register part sounds cool while the pulldown just sounds like a normal bass line.

At least to my ears, sounds like you switched instruments. I know you could just turn it on and off, there's loads of time, but this is just .... cooler :bassist: