Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid commercial(s)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FLOYDtheBARBER, Feb 8, 2003.

1. has anyone seen the recent anti-pot commercials? there's one where a guy and girl are smoking at a party, and then the guy starts to grope her. as the camera pans away, you hear her resist and say "no" but the guy keeps at it...
    WHAT??? why are potheads always made out to be the scum of the universe? i've never raped anyone or sexually assaulted anyone, and neither has any of my stoner friends (and there's a lot of them). however, four drunk hockey players in my town did rape several 15 year olds. and my friend was raped by a drunken boyfriend when she was thirteen!
    how come all the media seems to forget what alcohol does, and insists on making plenty of propaganda about cannabis?
    what do you think? please, no comments like "well, burnouts can't get a girlfriend, so they do stuff like that" or "you're a worthless hippy layabout"; i've gotten them all before.
    this has potential for flaming,and i don't want to argue...I'm just super p---ed off right now. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    mods; close this as soon as you feel the need.

2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Those commercials are using scare tactics to get kids to stary away from pot..the message of that commercial was 1) girls shouldnt hang out with stoners because they will get raped, 2) stoners are rapists..now we know that is not true, but they are using it to scare people.

And how about that one with the two kids, and one pulls out a gun and acidentally shoots his friend? I especially dislike that one. First off, the scenario was unrealistic. It took place in what looked to be a parent's home office..hmmm..wouldnt that parent notice the smell of the weed in there?

And second, I support the second amendment and the right to keep and bear arms, and I am opposed to those who try to ban guns and dont even understand them. This commercial just HAD to drag gun control into it, so they are trying to keep kids away from two "evil" things: guns and drugs.

It is proven that cigarettes are more harmful to your health than pot, yet pot is banned because its been known to cause impaired judgement. Well so does alcohol. So if you are in a safe area like your own home, and NOT driving, I think its ok.

And I bet that if marijuana were legalized, there would be less people who smoke it, because many are younger teens who are curious about it, and the thrill of getting it is enticing.

And if it were legalized, it would clean up the drug dealer problem we have. Pot sold in stores would be sold at a lower price, forcing the street dealers to lower their price, which would be very difficult if not impossible due to the amount it costs to get it in the first place. The government could also make some much needed money through taxation too.

Thats just my 2 cents.:cool:

3. yeah, the gun one is retarded. the stoned kid wouldn't have shot his friend if there wasn't a gun lying right on top of the desk. :rolleyes: i was disappointed because that commercial DIDN'T say anyhting about gun control: i'm not a gun-control guy, but the commercial acted like it was normal for a gun to be laying around on a desk for anyone to find. if that's true, drugs aren't the problem in THAT home.
    actually, if pot were legalized, it would cost WAY more. why? becuase the gov't wants money! you're right, they could tax it; that's why the price would be sky high. and it would be manufactured and stuffed with chemicals like cigarettes, too. and there'd probably be an age-law for it, so dealers would still have plenty of business from kids like me. but the gov't would probably make a law that no one could sell it or grow it independently; because then they wouldn't get the tax money.
    not that any of that will ever happen, 'cause they'll never legalize it. good. but the propaganda is stupid. and even in school health classes; they have no real arguments against pot. "it'll lower your sperm count." so? the body makes what, like, ten million a day; does it matter if i start making only nine or eight million a day? the only real argument against pot is that it's a gateway drug. which it is, for sure. that's why i don't smoke everyday, so i don't ever get bored with it and want to start doin' coke.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    As an outsider (non pot user) I do think that those commericials are a load of bull hucky. This all goes back to reefer madness. Kids got lied to about pot so they thought... well if pot isn't really bad, then heroin must not be bad. And if heroin isn't bad, then putting a gun to my head and raping must not be bad either. The anti pot campain has turned itself into the boy who cried wolf, if presented with straightforward facts (hmmm interesting concept) they would get to more people I think.

5. WORD.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Because the government makes lots of money on alchohol. Weed, which is easy to grow would make it hard to tax and sell. So the simple equation is profitable drug = good for public, non-profitable drug = bad for public. I don't know what it's like in other states, but here in Pa, all of the liquor stores are run by the state. Plus a liquor license isn't by no means, cheap. It's funny, the drinking ads just say don't drink and drive, but the marijuna ads say don't smoke or you will distance yourself from your family, fail classes in school, begin to not properly bath and groom yourself, totally burn out, rape your girlfriend, shoot your friend, run over a girl on a back at the local burger joint, rape your dog, eat your dog, then die a pathetic death in a very stoned state. Personally, I would like to have what the writers of those commercials are smoking, because they situations they present are either absurd, or are totally possible without any drugs at all.

I've been known to take a few puffs of weed now and then. But last time I was drunk I vowed that it was going to be a very, very long time until I got drunk again. I just don't care for what I become when I'm drunk. I'm not mean or anything, but I just feel as though I become a totally different person, and do things that I normally wouldn't do. I also black out and do things that I have no recollection of. I also don't feel to great in the morning. I just can't see how alcholics can do this every day cause once a weekend every couple of months is enough for me.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i liked the one where the parents are going to be the 'youngest grandparents in the neighborhood' because their daughter got knocked up while stoned. seriously now, how many people have gotten knocked up while drunk? i would bet it happens multiple times every weeked on campus here. way more people getting drunk and 'hooking up' than getting stoned.

there's not a single thing in those commercials that can't be applied to alcohol, but you guys hit it on the head that $$$ = legal.

anyone see the south park about this? with the 'future self' ? i thought it was bloody brilliant, how after trying so hard to make stan believe that his actor/clone was real, when they're finally found out the dad says "ok, we don't want you smoke pot because it makes you feel ok with being bored, and by the time you grow up you may find out that you aren't good at anything." and stan says "wow, i wish you just could have told me that from the start." :D

8. EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. i agree 100% with everything here. i got in a discussion about how alcohol is legal, so there aren't any campaigns against it like there are against pot, with my mom the other day. which probably told her something about me. oops.
    i also dislike alcohol. i've tried drinking before, and i really don't see why people do it. alcohol just makes people beligerent, obnoxious, and often violent. my friend (actually, my guitarist) was telling me about the time he got drunk at "the rez" (the reservoir in my town, where all the jocks go to get "faced") and hurt his hand getting into a fight with a cement wall (couldn't play for a few days). then he puked for three hours the next morning. and did some gross stuff with the grossest, sluttiest, most filthy girl in our school while he was drunk. then he did it again the next weekend...
    i don't like puking. or liver failure, for that matter.
    when i'm stoned i just sit around, jam and play music, and make ninja masks out of t-shirts (thanks dave:cool: ) pretty harmless, huh?

9. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    what really gets me upset is when some stupid people I have to eat lunch with see these commercials and then come to school and lecture me about how bad pot is.(I don't smoke but I'm all for legalization and I made the mistake of being vocal about it to them once). Then when I ask them why they hate pot so much, seeing as they've never been around it and don't have a clue as to what it actually is, they just requote the commercials again! Then I started talking to them about the drug companies creating THC substitutes and how that's a lot worse since it actually IS legal and is most likely harmful, and they refused to believe me about any of it. They also refused to research or look for evidence of any of it since "it couldn't be true. The US government cares about its people and would never let that happen." It really made me mad:mad:

10. just take comfort in knowing that you are WAY smarter and more aware than the kids you eat lunch with.
    and, when they're not looking, spit in their drinks.;)

11. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    I took one's curious george gummy fruit snack when he wasn't looking.:D

...of course my ethics demanded I give it back later so I did:)

12. whoa...never mess with another man's fruit snacks; especially those gummy sharks...those things rele; they RULE!

13. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    they dominate. They're much better than gummi bears

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree with everything that you have said, except for this.

It is called WEED. Why? Because it is literally a weed. It is very easy to grow and process. That is the only reason that is illegal. The governmant CAN'T make money off of it. If it was as complicated as tobacco and alcohol, then the government would be all over it.

In health class last year, we had a cop come in to talk about drugs, and he flat out told us that tobacco and alcohol was worse than pot.

Over half the price of tobacco and alocohol is taxes. That is why those are legal. The government makes billions off of cigarettes and alcohol each year. It wouldn't be the same for pot.

All of that said, with how strongly I feel about the issue, I have never smoked pot, nor do I want to. I just think those who want to should be able to.

Side fact: there is no such thing as a THC overdose, it cannot kill you. Scientists have done an experiment where they injected 100 times the amount of THC into a rat's brain, and it did NOT die. Alcohol can kill you. Why is alcohol legal?

Back to the main point: the commercials are bull. They are total propaganda and lies.

The guy who groped the girl was a pervert, wether he was stoned or not, and the dude who shot his friend is just dumb. When you are stoned, you still have some sense of logic. At least my friends do... They still know not to point guns at each other or go to a drive through when baked...

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "The Rez"

"Faced" (derived from being (#$* faced I assume?)

Floyd, you guys have some wild slang there in Mass. :D

16. yeah, we do. well, they do. i don't talk like that. i think i don't, anyway....

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As I said in an earlier Thread along similar lines:
    "The true addicts in all of this is the government. They're addicted to the tax revenue generated by Booze and Smokes".

18. just saw another one...about a kid who killed his brother when he was driving stoned. ARGH! that's such bull plop. seriously, when was the last time you've EVER heard of a stoned-car wreck. yeah; i haven't either. i :spit: on that friggin' commercial.

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well there really isn't a whole lot to be said about these commercials...I saw the youngest grandparents in the neighborhood commercial the other night and was really disappointed. What a waste of money.

I think just about everyone, regardless of their stance on MJ and whether or not it should be legal etc etc, can agree these latest commercials are utter tripe.

20. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Not in my school...:meh: