Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Cops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I am at a record store listening to a friends band last night... Mind you, this record store is downtown and surrounded by bars and pizza joints.

The cops shut the music down after the 2nd band because they think it is too loud. IT IS DOWNTOWN SURROUNDED BY LOUD BARS! WHO IS COMPLAINING?

So me and my friend are standing outside talking to some dude, and some *******cop comes up to me and says "How old are you son?" "15." "Go home, it is past curfew." I point to my friend who is 32... "I'm here with an adult." "Get in his car and go home, or you are coming with me. The curfew is 10 pm." "Fine, whatever."

Funny thing, the curfew states that you cannot be out past 10 in our city just wondering aimlessly. If you are doing something, or are on your way to or from a place, you are not in violation of it. We were listening to music at a store... sounds like we were doing something. Hell, we were even potential customers to that store.

My dad is a cop, but he is kern county sherrifs dpt. so he works out in the boonies, or just outside city limits. I like the sherrifs dpt. They do not care as long as no one is getting hurt... the B.P.D. will get so bored that they will just shut random things down.

Swearing???!! Does that mean anything to you.?? Ok you are grounded.

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ever seen the movie Super Troopers? thats a great movie......

I've never had any experiences like that... but I can see why it would be so aggravating.

Maybe there is something you can do about it.....but then again, maybe there isn't...

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah I got picked up for curfew violation when I Was younger. It is pathetic. They bring me home and my parents are like......ok...thanks. It is stupid, I was less then ablock from my house hanging outwith some friends in form of there house. But I guess I pose more of a threat then those drug dealers on the other side of town.

4. Sometimes those curfew laws are kind of dumb. 10:00 sounds pretty early to me, but there probably isnt much you can do about it. Complain to the mayor's office or something, it could be worth a try.

jtbp

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know what it's like in other areas but where I live, you can definatley tell a big difference between State Troopers and Town Police. The State Police always seem more professional while the Town Cops seem to be more on a power trip. I'm not saying that all town cops here are on power trips, but that has been my expierence.

Speaking of stupid local laws. My town has a law that you cannot walk around town in a group larger than 3 people. I'm not sure of that exact details of it, (I assume it relates to minors) but either way, it's pretty sad. I could understand if my town had a large vandalism problem or something like that, but that's hardly the case.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What city is this?

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Bakersfield California

8. When I saw Frog Brigade last November, I was standing outside Lupo's at 1 in the morning at he age of 15. And there was a cop standing there, and he didn't care at all. It was pretty cool too, badass show too.

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmmmm

yeah..mike money.. your infamous now buddy ;)

youll be the next stupid matt someday when you become a suppporting member!

:)
    ;)
    :D

...word man!

10. Next time let them take you in. Let them take you in repeatedly and each time announce that you're glad they're gonna get extra paper work.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I would have... but i'm already grounded...

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The University police here are usually pretty cool about stuff. They are real police just like any other police organization but their jurisdiction is limited to the university. The charlottesville city police are a little worse, but still usually pretty cool. The albemarle county police are a pain in the ass. I've never had to deal with the state police so I can't comment on them.

13. You lot have curfews?? Why??

Man, I'm quite often out wandering aimlessly at gone 2am (I'm an insomniac) and the only time I've ever been stopped by the police is because they were bored and wanted a conversation.

I know I'm not in a city, and there's hardly any crime out here, but....... :eek:

:meh:

14. When I was in High School, last year, 20 cops showed up one day at our school with drug sniffing dogs and searched every car in the parking lot. I went to a big school. 3000-4000 people went to my school. They didn't find any. They searched all day trying to bust kids. Stupid. What a waist of resources.

I'm tired of cops being so aggresive against the younger generations. I gig a lot and they see me pull out of a club and they pull me over, just trying to get a dui. (I hate it when people drink and drive) I don't drink. They don't know that but I've been pulled over more than anyone else in my band. Take in mind that my band members are each twice my age. I'm 19, male, and out late. I might as well put a "Pull me over" bumper sticker on my car.

I haven't had too many problems with curfew but I think it sucks. I think it is prejudice. I know it fixes some crime problems. I think if they would just enforce only the law and nothing more. If you are doing something, you should be allowed to do it, as long as your not in a boy band.

ps. I just saw "anger managment" wait until it comes out on video. Not that great.

15. Hell, it's 3am now and I'm still wide awake & tempted to go for a walk.
    I'll see what my dogs think, if they want a walk (they do sometimes) then I'll walk them.

:meh:

EDIT: What is with these curfews? Why? :confused:

16. Cops over here wont let kids under the age of 18 be roaming around during the night so they wont go Teepee houses or whatever those crazy kooky kids do. Its different times in every state, In colorado the Curfew is like 12 or 1 am. Ive never had trouble with the law ever (though I should have been many, many times) but ive had friends who were going home at like 12:30 and a cop gave them tickets even though its ok if your going home, but the cops dont care their just trying to get the state more money.

17. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Curfews ? I'm sorry but hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :rolleyes: :meh:

18. :eek: :(

I find that...... unbelievable, I think.

:(

19. Hey! Haven't seen you in these parts for a while!

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah, to be 15 again.