1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid Deal - AKG Wireless

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by baba, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I've seen mixed reviews on these, and have no experience with wireless units, but I'm thinking of jumping in for 99 bucks. An X2 is just out of my $$$ range. Anyone used the system below that can comment?:

AKG SR 40 Flexx Receiver with GB 40 Guitar Bug Transmitter

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=200510

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    The following is what concerns me, as I really don’t know what it all means, and don’t want something that will become unusable.

CONSUMER ALERT
    Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC’s wireless microphone website at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones.

3. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Something very strange is going on here. The frequency band listed by MF of that unit is 660-865Mhz.
    The 700Mhz band (covering 698-806Mhz) is restricted. It is illegal to sell or operate devices that operate in this band.
    Thus, it seems that although perhaps a few of the frequencies of the SR40 are legally usable, a great deal of them are not, and furthermore, it seems to me (I'm not an expert) that it is illegal for MF to sell these units.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

Also, regarding Marko's post, that statement is attached to all wireless microphone systems.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I happened to notice on Zzounds, they add this below that Alert, they’re an authorized AKG dealer, yet they don’t sell the unit in question.

"NOTE: None of the wireless systems we carry are capable of violating the FCC guidelines stated above. We are presenting this information as a matter of legally required disclosure. zZounds is an authorized dealer of AKG products."

5. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    That makes sense. I think that notice is merely a legal requirement.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I've had this unit for about 3 years, and I love it. Don't over think a great deal. Hey it's only $99!

Oh and I paid $250 for mine! Worth every penny. Only takes 1 AAA battery that lasts at least 2-3 gigs.(3 one hour sets)

7. Thanks, that's the feedback I wanted. The little bug unit holds up ok? I read a couple bitches about that.

8. Ah, what the hell. I'm in. If it blows I'll return it.

9. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i'm in....

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Totally worth the $99 and then some. I've use mine in clubs and even outdoors. If I can still hear myself playing I can walk that far away. I once walked about 1000 feet from my amp at an outdoor gig. Didn't lose anything. Plus it's so small, people look at you funny. Even musicians because they can't tell your wireless. Especially if your output jack is on the bottom.

I even walked outside at an indoor gig in the dead of winter. It just so happened we had a huge window behind the band. I almost scare the drummer right off his stool!

11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    PLus this unit looks like an upgrade from mine. My unti didn't have multiple channels, thus the FLEXX I guess.

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I just took a stab at this too. On it's way...

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Does look like a good deal, but I think I’ll check out digital units. Not that it matters, but they don’t require the “Customer Alert”

14. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010

If you're talking digital, I have a Line 6 G30 Relay unit that I really like. I got it from Unique Squared for $236.00- no tax and free shipping.

http://www.uniquesquared.com

15. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    It's $99?? You spend more than that with a night out with your siginificant other.

No brainer.

16. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    a lot more....

17. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    Thanks baba for letting us know. I'm in.

18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Well, this caught my eye… $189, and I saw a rebox for $159, but I have to do some research, as I'm completely unfamiliar with these units.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-WDI-JMWAL35-LIST

WDI%20JMWAL35_M5-Tiny.

And it’ll actually be for a band-buddy who’ll be playing a Roland Ax Synth.

WDI%20JMWAL35_M2-Tiny.

19. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Yep... that's what I'm looking at, as well.

20. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Well, I figured it's worth a c-note... if nothing else I could just gve it to my guitar player. Thanks for the heads up!