Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid DI out question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinkiusminkius, Sep 27, 2004.

1. OK then, no laughing, but I really dont know much about this amp set up mallarkey. I have a Vox Venue 100watt amp, and am used to playing gigs where I just plug in and play. But recently keep hearing of DI out etc. My amp has a DI out socket (although its just a normal big jack socket, not a fancy round pin thing). Do I basically just plug and play as usual, and then take a lead fro my DI out to the sound desk? And if so, will that sound exactly like the sound coming from my amp? One more thing - Im using a multi effects pedal, so will the effects also be DI'd out? If you use any technical jargon like preamp in your reply I may get lost and confused. Sorry for being so dim, but this seems like a helpful place. Cheers

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    To keep it simple as requested, question 1 = yes, question 2 = no...your amp's speaker cabinet will color the sound so it will sound different through the PA that the "sound desk" feeds. Question 3 = yes, if your effects pedal is between your bass and your amp, the amp and it's DI will be receiving effect pedal colored sound.

3. Cheers for that speedy and idiot-proof reply. I understood it. But one further question . . . regarding the multi effects, they may sound a certain way through my amp (as different amps handle distortion, tone etc in a different way) but differently when DI'd out through the overall PA amp?? If so, doesnt that make it tricky to set up all the preset sounds on a multieffects pedal to sound correct through the overall PA? Or am I just being paranoid? Cheers.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if thats a huge concern you could just mic the amp

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Run the DI inline between the effects and your amp. The DI on most amps isn't worth a damn. Except the high end ones. That way you'll get no colorization from your amp and the house can eq it for you. DI's are one of those things you can't skimp on. Buy a good one the first time.

6. Ideally you could do a "soundcheck" to hear what the signal chain sounds like that you initially described. That being: bass-->pedals-->amp-->Line/DI out-->PA. And ideally you could turn down the amp's volume and hear only the PA sound.

The problem is that most likely your amp is like 99% of the rest and the volume knob also controls the output level of the "line/DI" out. So you'd need a really long instrument cord and use that to put a lot of distance between you and your amp so that you hear mostly the PA. Then you would be best positioned to listen to know if you like what you hear or not.

Another possibilty that has not been mentioned is to "double-DI" (this is somewhat of a misnomer in that I suspicion that your amp features a "line-out" moreso than an actual "DI" but even if it does have a bonafide DI it's still worth trying and if I'm right that it's a line-out you definitely need to try it). Run a short instrument cable from your amp's DI to a quality (like a Countryman) DI and then to the PA. Routinely this makes a big difference.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Excuse the crudity of the model:
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks all. Tomorrow is D-day (or should I say "gig day") so I'll try whay I can given the limited time span and limited equipment. Cheers.