1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can count on folks at TB setting me straight. WoodyG3 said I was GAS-ing because my main bass has been a Cirrus four for about a month, and I miss my B string. That is true, and I would like another decent five. The honest truth, however, is that my Cirrus sounds 100% better than anything I have owned since 2009, and since I tune to DGCF, I cannot say I have missed a beat at church. Today my tone was great coming out of my church's TC Electronic BG250 combo.

I guess my point is that I still want another five, but there is no rush at all. If I did not pick up another five by November, it wouldn't affect what I do at all. It is good to step back and see the difference between a need and a GAS attack.

faulknersj likes this.
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I have bought a bass last december after not buying anything for 7 years. It is a let down since then. So I'm thinking about buying something else going from 6 to 4 strings.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Only GAS is eternal, and incurable! (and rewarding, fun, expensive, etc...)

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Anything beyond one bass and one amp is GAS. Jamerson made a decent living with one bass guitar and one double bass.

That being said, if you can afford it, whatever makes you happy.

5. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    A local blues bassist plays a Cirrus through a BG250 combo and I LOVE the tone that he gets. That's a great combination for sure.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To be honest, instead of another bass, I need to buy a personal BG250 for use at home.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Honestly gas is okay if you understand that no bass or amp can do it all No matter what it costs. Every bass has weaknesses tonally! ! Every single one!!

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is very true !

9. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Why not get a Cirrus 5? I would love one myself- Walnut or Bubinga please.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would love to have one!

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

If you love the Cirrus 4, save your pennies and keep your eyes open for a cheap Cirrus 5er.

Cirrus USA basses seem to be one of those models that can sometimes be "stolen" for $400-600 if you watch music stores, pawn shops, Craigslist, etc. May take months, but they always seem to turn up eventually if you look hard enough.

I'm personally looking for cheap Cirrus and Millenium USA 5ers in my area and a couple have come up in the last few months. I was a few hours too late for a Milleniim USA 5er (went for under $500CAD) and a Cirrus came up but it had minor issues and the colour was not my thing.

VMMV

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I "stole" my four for $400 plus tax. I know you are right about saving my dollars and holding out for a good deal on a Cirrus five or six. I would definitely love a Cirrus more than a
    Dimension or a Carvin.

Patience is not what I do best, but I can try!

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A TBer with patience is a rare breed! :D

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. I'm like Doc here no patience. Couple of months back I was after a particular bass,discontinued of course.
    5'er came on the market 2 weeks back, yeah I bought it.

Yesterday Dave who runs ProBass here in the UK emails me " K.B you still after a V1004 there's one on Ebay"
    Guess what I'm going to the bank this morning, put the funds in.

Go for the 5'er Doc

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Cirrus. I absolutely love that modern tone, and literally no other bass I have ever had plays like my Cirrus.

16. Well Doc, you have defined your goal. That's a a big step, when it comes to deciding among the 8 bazillion choices we have for basses. Now, keep playing that Cirrus, and imagining it a s a 5er. Save your pennies, and when the right one comes up, hit the"buy" button, and don't look back with anything except happy thoughts.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wish me well, getting excited over everything that comes along is a hard habit to break!

18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The Dr. has gas... funny - so do I.

I say got for it.

19. I hate GAS. It makes my math skills as related to my bank account go all screwy....:help:

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Precisely! Which is the reason for the TB rule: You can never own too many basses!

Tunaman likes this.