Stupid Guitar Player

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Alright I am a band currently that I have been in the for the last three years. Anyway, our guitarist is one of those effects freaks, who has thirty-seven different effects pedals, one of which happens to be a volume pedal. Now this guitar player is convinced that I know nothing about his pedals, even though he doesnt ever even take care of them, and doesnt understand how they work, like I do. Well he has this strange obsession with this volume pedal. It has to be constantly full on. Now pardon me if I sound a little anal, but he is just taking all the usefulness out of the pedal. Whenever I tell him to turn down his volume pedal, and turn up his amp. He just looks at me and sarcastically says "Ok" like I have no idea what he is talking about. He envisions his volume pedal as sort of a mute button that he uses to turn his sound off. It just really annoys me. Anyone else ever seen this anal habit in a guitar player?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If he wants to use it as a mute who cares?

Having an unconventional setup or method (I run an overdrive as a clean boost) does not make one stupid. However if he is constantly a pain in the butt dont work him him (ever again).
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    This should be moved to the "Redundant Thread Titles" forum.
  4. Each to their own.

He's probably thinking "Stupid Bass Player" 'cause you don't have 37 pedals at your disposal.

A volume pedal is very useful...mutes, fades, and probably more importantly, using it to control the guitar's output in order to push distortion pedals and the amp (instead of having to reach down and adjust the volume with the knob).

If he and the band sound good, leave him alone. Musicians are anal at the best of times! :D
  5. My guitarist has a effects board with a volume pedal. He uses that like your guitarist does and thats because he blew his last amp up from having turned to 10 and 10. We are a loud band. He bought himself a Carvin head and 4x12's after he blewup his crappy 100 watter. But with this volume control he decides to run the amp at 5 and 6 and uses the volume control to control everything.

Smart move. If he has so many effects pedals why doesn't he sell them all and get a effects board? Cheaper and comes with far more effects too.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My ex-guitarist was the same way. His pedals often took a sh*t on him during our gigs and his way of fixing them was to bang them on the floor or stomp on 'em as hard as he could. It was always hard to keep from laughing out loud. They were always covered with dirt and grime and cat hair. One time, one of his wah pedals took a dumper on him. I asked him what was wrong with it and he replied, "I don't know. Maybe the battery is dead or something." I was like, "Did you try replacing the battery and seeing what happens?" "No. I'll just use my other one." I brought it home with me and completely took it apart and scrubbed it down. I let everything dry thoroughly and put it back together, stuck a fresh battery into it and plugged it in. Bingo, just like new!

He also had a Digitech RP1 that he used simply for the distortion. We got into an argument one time over that too. I told him that he needed to work on his sound for a few of the songs we were doing and he said he didn't know if his Digitech even had those sounds. I said, "Well, you better get the book out and see what you can figure out!" Needless to say, the rest of the practice session was a little bit strained. We eventually got him away from it by telling him, "Either figure that thing out or don't use it at all!" He stopped using it.

I guess to answer the final question of your post --yes, my guitarist was an anus.
  7. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    i have 39 effects at my disposal, hehehe.
  8. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    No offense meant, but why does it matter to you whether or not he uses it as a mute? :confused:

Maybe he feels his tone is altered by backing off on the pedal because he's not pushing a full signal to the preamp section of the amp. Maybe he just can't be bothered to worry about it. When I play guitar, I use a multieffects pedal that includes an expression pedal that I usually leave full on (unless I'm using it as a Wah pedal). I also have a dedicated volume pedal that has a pot to let me set the volume level with the pedal is fully backed off. I use this pedal pretty much as a toggle to switch back and forth between two different volume levels. Am I limiting the usefulness of the pedal? Probably. Now, ask me if I care? :D

- Frank.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's, like, the sound, man. There's *nothing* like the sound of a volume pedal that's cranked, man. Yeah. :)
  10. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    My guitarist wasted all his money on effects pedals. And I mean wasted! His amp is so terrible (15 watts) that no matter what pedal he uses, anything that he does sounds like (well u get the idea). He got the local radio station once. It was louder than he was!