Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Guitar Store Employees

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 11, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was at the local music MusicMan dealer today, and actually argued with one of the employees about MusicMan being one of Leo Fender's companies. Another guy there was backing him up, too! I had to pull a book off of the shelf and prove to them that MusicMan was Leo's. The first guy's strongest arguement against me was that he worked at Gibson, so he would know. Big F***in' Deal! He thought I didn't know anything cause I'm only 18. Jerk!
    Anyone else had to deal with an idiot like this? Anyone else visited a music store with hiring standards lower than those at the local crack-house?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, many at time infact. I feel so much better once Ive showed the employee (who’s job it is to sell me things that he is supposed to know about) something. They think Im young and naive because of how I look or how I talk, I just prove them wrong. Thats really all you can do. It might even help you establish a better relationship with an employee. Hell, I now get a 20% off discount at my local music store.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's the difference between being a teenager and being an old fart. I don't give a rat what those guys think. I know what I know. If they want to be ignorant, it's plenty OK with me.

4. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I love being young.

:D

5. Once I went to MARS and asked the guy behind the counter if they had any flatwound strings, and he said "We don't carry that brand."

6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    LMAO

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    When I encounter people like that I just start making up gear. I ask them if they have the new Mackie Astro-Glide, or the SWR Master-Grab (or something else equally ridiculous). They usually go to great lengths to let me know that they have in fact heard of such gear, but the store doesn't carry it yet.;)

8. OoOh...
    So is poking fun at the store guys something I can look forward to when I get to college? :D:p

9. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    no, you can enjoy it right now!! in fact, i think everyone should.

punish salespeople. wring from them the last penny on the dollar; be rude, obnoxious and distant. the selling relationship is so inauthentic, contrived and sick that it deserves to be denigrated. compile this with wanton ignorance and poor hygene, and the only human response is to sneer.

only ever buy from people that say "dude," smile warmly, and let you play that $5000 les paul when they know you can't afford it.

uhhh....with the exception of everyone here that works in a music store.....sorry for the rant. going to take meds....

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can do that now! Just go there and ask for the Alesis Negatron DSP 2.

11. crazy1

crazy1

Feb 6, 2002
    Ohio
    I have trouble in every store I go into because I am a woman. They usually talk to my husband (plays guitar) and ignore me. When I first started, I went to the music go round in our area and the 2 younger boys that work there are very nice, but this guy acted like a total jerk. I asked about lighter strings and he said it would be ok for my kind of music as long as I didn't play any rock. I told him that I couldn't use them then because I play Jimmi hendrix, lynard skynard, acdc etc... I never seen a persons get so red in the face. I didn't buy any from them.

12. I love that age discrimination you get at guitar stores, it's really pathetic... middle aged GC employee "You can't use those effects, their ment for guitar!" me "actually I own that one, it works great on bass" middle aged GC employee "really?" me "yup"... I also love they way they don't set anything up properly there, plugging in things quickly.

13. ...that's about as stupid as someone at the GC that thought the Mutron3+ was a guitar.

14. The guys at the music store I get the majority of my stuff from are usualy pretty cool. They dont mind me playing on musicmen or gibsons or fenders or such like even though they know I cant afford it.

This is why I have brought over 800 pounds (1200 dollars?) of business their way and will carry on buying stuff from them in the future even though there are many guitar stores here in edinburgh.

They do talk **** sometims though. I asked them once how much it would be to order in a geddy lee jazz bass and I was told they didnt make them anymore. I corrected them and all was well though. I have also found they trat women as lesser people if the woman is in with a man. They assume she doesnt know much about guitars and so they discuss the economics of a purchase rather than the actualy product.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yep, age discrimnation is a bummer. Just ignore it. As far as when they challenge my knowledge, I just ask "How many basses have you had?" Usually none, because they are guitar players.
    And then I say, "Well I've owned over 40, so I think I know what I'm talking about."

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Miscellaneous.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    People tend to look down on younger players...I don't get it. In your average GC, I'll walk in, plunk down with a fretless Pedulla and plug into a Ampeg or SWR rig/combo (No Eden...grr...).
    Immediatly, some guy comes up and asks how things are going, and then asks "So what do you play? Jazz?" (I tend to NOT bust out with slap and try to show off...usually just run through some low key lines, "Jazz" to these guys, aparently :confused: )
    I'm usually pretty straight forward "I play mostly metal" Right away, they perk up, and start pushing (fretted) Warwicks, BC Richs and Ibanez'. Using words that they think means something to me and adjusting the amp without asking to a slap setting and asking if I play Korn or Staind. :rolleyes:

I just set things back on the amp, and keep rolling on the Pentabuzz...

18. Most of the sales people I've met have been pretty nice, if a little condescending at times. A lot of times they're let me do what I want, play what I want and leave me alone when I want, which I like.

I realize there are a lot of sales jerks out there, but on the other hand, there are also some really nice guys too. They can act that way sometimes because they have had to deal with annoying know-nothing pretentious customers. I'm sure any one would be automatically condescending to people if half of the people that came in the store that day just wanted to buy a guitar to impress people with and had no clue the first thing about them.

19. Well, i occassionally work in a guitar store, and cos i know what it is like walking into those places i know people dont wanna be hasselled. people just want u to "listen" and try out what they want regardless of what they can afford.

i remember about a year ago i went in to try some basses, and some guy was telling me that MM stingray's are much better than Warwick Thumbs, and that it is like driving a VW Beetle and getting to a Ferrari. I said i disagreed and that i prefered Warwicks in general. He basically told that i WAS WRONG, and that MM were the best basses ever. Then, "it helps if you can actually play the instrument". £$%^&*)_"$*)(£$ BA55****. grrrrrr.

sim

20. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    well, i've not had too many troubles with sales people, only a few at GC. they didn't even know how to set up the peddels, and this wa ssoon after i started playin, so i didn't get to use any. they could set up the guitar ones, but not for bass. and actually, the majority of music store workers that i've seen are women, and the funny part is (not funny, just ironic b/c they are the ones who get looked down upon) the women workers have seemed to me more competent than the men. i even bought my bass of a woman worker.