Stupid Ibanez ATK question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fractal, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Fractal

Nov 11, 2004
    I feel stupid asking this but anyway, I just got an ibanez atk 300. It is only the second bass I have ever had. I am not sure which nobs are for what (teble etc..). Also, I don't know what the switch thing does. I have not had much experience. So could someone tell me which is for which if you are looking at the bass? There are three nobs (and the volume one but I know which one that is :D ) and the switch thing. Thanks
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I'm pretty sure on that model it's vol, bass, mid, treb. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). You should be able to tell which is which by playing with them a bit, as for the switch, it's supposed to be some sort of coil switcher, but it din't seem to do anything on the couple I owned in the past. Good luck!
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    spc is correct. Left knob = treble, middle knob = mids, right knob = bass, other knob that's closer to the pickup: volume.

Actually, on my ATK, the coil switcher causes a pretty obvious difference in tone. The left switch position will give you the stingray-ishest tone (pronounced lows and highs), the middle switch position gives you an all-around bright sound with some additional buzz, and the right switch position is supposed to produce a more "traditional" tone. The difference isn't always that huge, but in some situations and EQ settings it is pretty obvious.
  4. Fractal

Nov 11, 2004
    Is this if you are looking down at the nobs while having the bass on?
  5. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    i own an ibanez EDB600 so im pretty sure most ibanez's will be the same, when youre looking down on the bass the left knob is bass, middle is mid and right is treble.
  6. Fractal

Nov 11, 2004
    Thanks, I think I got it figured out now
  7. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    This is backwards from my ATK.

When you're wearing the bass, looking down, the left-most switch postion (toward the neck) is the "Traditional" tone. This sounds the most like a P-bass to me. In this mode, you're using the neck coil and the middle dummy coil to hum-cancel.

The middle mode is "Bright", which is the same single coil mode with dummy coil hum-cancelling, but with a treble boost.

The right-most, or bridge position is the "Attack" tone mode. In this position, you are humbucking in series with the neck and bridge coils. The dummy coil is not used in this position.

There is no series/parallel mode on the stock ATK.

If you cut the mids and the treble on your overall tone, the switch makes little difference in your tone. It's much more noticeable with the mids emphasized.

This took me a while to figure out, and I got confirmatio0n from Ibanez after many months of pestering.

Also, in an old issue of Bass Player with Les Claypool on the cover, they review the ATK, Stingray, and some Peavey bass that didn't have a long shelf life. They describe the switch postions as well, as I recall.