1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid idea? Impossible? (rewiring cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hyde, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    This is probably the worst idea of all time, but could I (or, more accurately, my electrical engineer brother) rewire my 8 ohm 410 cab to be 4 ohm? The immediate benefit would be that I would be getting 500 watts from my amp instead of 300, but what really interests me is the idea of being able to add another 4 ohm cab and get 800 watts. Is that even possible, and would it really be that much louder to eventually have two 4 ohm cabs at 800 watts than two 8 ohm cabs at 500?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You could if you add an 8ohm resistor in parallel with your cabs wiring, but that resistor would then chew up half the juice making the whole thing useless because your speakers will only get half of the doubled wattage. How come you couldn't just ask your brother? Wouldn't he give you an immediate answer?

3. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Because he knows next to nothing about music gear and how it's wired, and I don't really want him poking around in my cab to figure out if it can be done. If I can a some solid info on if/how this can be done, I'm sure he can do it, but I'd rather this wasn't a trial-and-error thing.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Can't be done. Proof is left as an exercise to the student.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Assuming that its 8 Ohm speakers... This way, you would get full output with 1 cab.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, it most likely is. Because if you do series/parallel wiring, you would have 16 ohm series pairs, parallelled to be 8 ohms.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You need to install a special circuit known as an Accuswitch.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the point of this exercise would be to run your amp at 2 ohms, in the quest to 'get all the watts out of it', don't. Running an amp at its minimum rated load is bad idea. Get another 8 ohm cab and use the two together when you need more output, just one when you don't. BTW, 'getting full output' is a fruitless goal, putting in anything more than half a speaker's rated input power is wasted as heat due to power compression anyway.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

AHHH Physics Witchery!!! We must slap him in the stocks and make an example of him!!!

You're right, though. It's best not to run an amp all out all the time. I would probably check out that transformer option (Or I might wind my own for more power handling...) to run the amp down around 3 ohms or 4. Get more power, and run any speaker config for the most part.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    To put it to the origional poster: NO!

all this mombo jombo is over your head, unless somebody cares to explain it all to him? :p

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    1. yes, its possible to rewire your cab as a 4 ohm cab PROVIDED that the drivers have an impedance of 16ohms(16 ohms all in paralled is 4 ohm).

2. if the idea of getting another cab interests you, why bother rewiring your cab?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It is impossible for an 8 Ohm cab with 4 drivers to have 16 Ohm drivers.

15. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    damn. i should have actually thought about this:rollno: . to be an 8 ohm cab, they would have to be 4 x 2ohm drivers in series(not likely, if one blows the others won't work), or 4 x 32ohm drivers in parallel(more likely). or 4 x 8ohm drivers, each pair in parallel, and then in series with the other pair.

so it looks like a driver change is needed to wire it as a 4 ohm cab, which is probably not as smart as getting another cab.