Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid idea in the interest of string tension?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mslatter, Aug 19, 2003.

1. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Just thinking, I like lots of tension on my strings, and have been tempted to go to 35" scale, but I really like playing 34" scale. It occurred to me that maybe the answer is a string-through bass, with the string mounting quite a bit behind the bridge, so that I could have 34" scale, but use strings made for longer scale. I'd angle the pass-through. So, the question is, does overall string length matter in tension, or is it just the subsection between witness points?

Am I stupid? Or did I just state something that everyone already knows? Or somewhere in between?

2. This ought to be in the FAQ somewhere, if it isn't!

It's just the vibrating portion of the string between the two witness points that counts for tension. Other factors like break angle over the nut and bridge saddles, through-body stringing, neck stiffness, etc. may well have an effect on how the string feels when you pluck it, but not on the "tension" per se (which is defined very specifically).

Mike

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Amen, Mike. And I agree it should be in an FAQ somewhere, seeing as it comes up about twice a month. (Assuming anyone reads FAQs.)

mslatter, you're not stupid, just one of many misled by the false "tech"-BS slung by some guitar makers.

If you're looking for higher tension, with the same scale length, you must either tune higher or use heavier weight strings.

4. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    <b>Amen, Mike. And I agree it should be in an FAQ somewhere, seeing as it comes up about twice a month. (Assuming anyone reads FAQs.)</b>

Not true! It came up three weeks ago. Damn, I swear I usually search before asking.... Sorry about that. It's not in the general FAQ.

<b>mslatter, you're not stupid,</b>

Well don't base your opinion on this one post. I could change your mind later. :)

<b> just one of many misled by the false "tech"-BS slung by some guitar makers. </b>

More of an original idea, actually. I don't read too many ads. I had an internal debate on the physics behind it, then bailed and decided to ask those who might actually know.

<b>If you're looking for higher tension, with the same scale length, you must either tune higher or use heavier weight strings.</b>

Got it. Thanks for the replies! Nice to have such helpful and knowledgeable folks around!

5. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    and some Bass makers especially..:eek:
    It's pure "urban legend" type of stuff... sounds good, but no truth to it. No matter how long you make the strings past the nut and the bridge saddles, it won't affect tension.

DAve P.