1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid idea of the day... sawing combo in half?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JACink, Jul 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    First, let me point out two things:

1) I am fully aware that this is a crazy idea (hence the title), but as most crazy ideas have been approached on TB at some point in time, so I thought it might be worth asking.

2) This is not meant to be a solution for gigging or as a main amp etc.

The reason:

I have a Rumble 500C which is plenty for all my needs when gigging or rehearsing. However, I own two small sports cars (one smaller than the other) and the trunk space is extremely limited, especially on the Roadster. I have been looking for small combos that I could fit in the trunk of the Roadster for when I choose to drive this car (sometimes I have no option if my wife is using the family car). The only options that I have found that will fit are the Rumble 15, various similar 15w combos, and the Ampeg B108 (which literally needs to be "helped" (as in pushed) to make it through the gap.

None of these options are really shouting "buy me", as they will be fine for solo practice but not much more.

The crazy idea:

Take a larger combo (preferably used), with the amplifier mounted in a vertical orientation at the back, and saw it vertically in half, leaving the front part with the driver mounted and the back part with the amp mounted.

Either by adding a small strip of wood on the inside, or by routing a joint in the cabs wood (if thick enough), it would create a joint that I could run some rubber stripping inside in order for the cab to be properly sealed when butted together.

On the outside, I would add some quick release clips that would clamp the two halves together, creating pressure on the rubber seal and therefore sealing the cabinet.

I would also add a connector to be able to disconnect the speaker when dismantling.

I could also use a 1x10 cab with a micro amp, but the selection of 10" cabs is not huge (especially when factoring in that I am going to saw it in half!).

So...

Foreseable issues?

Tips and suggestions?

Recommended medication to avoid me having this kind of ideas?

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You are definitely thinking outside the box on that one, aren't you?

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I'm rippin' the box wide open!! ;)

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Rather than hack up the original cabs, build ones that suit your needs and mount the head and speakers in them.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    23" x 19"? It won't fit in the front seat, of either car?

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Who knows what that would sound like, when put back together? Put the circular saw down, @JACink ...

JACink, Deak and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    small box trailer. whoo......it might work but it will probably end up being a real rattle trap. What about a small trailer?

HolmeBass, Aaron Mc, wmhill and 7 others like this.
  8. You're going to end up with gear that doesnt work, and end up rebuying something else.

better to just sell the combo that doesnt fit, and buy a micro, and smaller modular cabs.

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    That is also a very valid option. I was thinking of using a premade cab as I know what it sounds like before I hack it apart, so I know what I am getting aiming for when I put it back together.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Not with a passenger. I could get it in the back of the Ford (which is a 2+2) but I would really like to find an option for both cars, in particular the roadster.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Deak

Deak

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    This is just a long shot but how about the new Trace Elliot cabs? Tall and thin.

The chopping thing seems like the long way around the block, but I'd buy a ticket to watch!:)

Good luck with your endeavor and don't medicate while using power equipment. Man would I like to have a "fun size" sports car. Of course the chicks would still say Ewwwwww!:laugh:

12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Unfortunately this is not an option, neither car can legally have a tow bar (hitch?) installed. One has center exhausts and the other is just illegal.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't need to sell the Rumble, as I use the people wagon when heading to a concert or proper rehearsals etc.

This is not meant to be my main rig, it is meant to be something that I could fit in the trunk of my car (with an Ibanez Mikro, which is the only bass I can fit) for when I am using either of my other cars for whatever reason.

The ford is not much of an issue, I could probably fit a 410 in there if I really tried, its the crossfire that is a pain in the rear (pardon the pun) to fit anything in.

This is the trunk opening I am dealing with:

0187b8bf5f_640.

14. I think you're creating problems you dont need. Take the car that the gear fits in, or buy small gear that fits in the car. Don't chop up gear just to make it fit in the small car when you have a larger on as an option.

plav1959, Frank77, Joedog and 7 others like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Phil Jones Briefcase... or similar.

16. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I've absolutely nothing useful to add but I'd happily pay to see a video of @Linnin watching you saw up your Rumble.:)
    Please?

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Loose the rag top, install a rack. :laugh:

IMG_1881.JPG

fretter, 5below, Ampslut and 6 others like this.
  18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

it certainly can be done, but the likelihood that it will leak somehow and not function properly is way too high for me to want to take a chance on it. i think you need aeronautical engineering skills for something like that. Perhaps start with a fresh design and roll your own--but then, why do that when yo already have serviceable amps? not worth the effort imo.

JACink likes this.
  19. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    I think this is a good option.

But, if economically, the better option for you is to buy a used combo and cut it, I suggest making the split permanent (seal the cab and run a speaker cable). Clip together, even with a gasket, is not going to work out.

20. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I believe most of us have all seen something similarly done with varying results, mostly at used stores, pawnshops and such. Always the price reflects a decreased value. Someone wants that combo and my thoughts would be keep it whole or sell it and buy/build what you want.