1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid impedence question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I know this is really dumb and I should know better, but is there ANY way you can rewire a cab (like my Mesa PH212) for 4 ohm operation (it's at 8) w/out installing new drivers?

I like my 210 on top, but when you turn up, it's like the 210 really isn't even there as the 212 overwhelms it. And I'd like to get down to one cab.

2. I'm guessing no, but as usual I reserve the right to be wrong!

Chances are it has either 2 16ohm speakers wired in parallel to acheive 8 ohms or 2 4ohm speakers wired in series to get 8 ohms. just try it at 8 ohms as a stand alone, you may find it great.

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    You'd need new drivers. Your 8 ohm 212 is either two 16 ohm drivers in parallel or 2 4 ohm drivers in series. For a 4 ohm load you'll need two 8 ohm drivers in parallel.

Does Mesa offer the cab in a 4 ohm version? If so, they might offer replacement drivers that you could buy. If not, many 212's are available in 4 ohm configurations. Avatar, Schroeder, Eden, maybe Epifani, and of course my favorite Genz Benz Neox212t.

Finally, if you like tinkering, you could measure the cab internal volume and ports and see if there might be something like an Eminence driver that would work, using the free WinISD alpha to model things. At least 8 ohm aftermarket drivers are the most common!

Good luck

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I think they do offer it, but I'm trying to save some money, and not go special order, which the 4 ohm version definitely is! :)

I may just let both cabs go for a little bit. I haven't gigged in about 4 months and need to pay off some stuff, so we'll see. Can always rent in a bind.