Stupid ipod question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    We're thinking of getting a new pc laptop. Since we are using itunes on this computer we want to replace, will installing itunes on the new computer erase all of the tunes on the ipod?

how do you transfer to the new computer?

2. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    yes when you sync it to itunes it will wipe everything out. you need to get a 3rd party application to transfer the music on your ipod to the new computer. I've used "ipod liberator" in the past and it worked like a charm.

If you purchased your music from the itunes store, you may be able to just download it all again for free, I'm not sure how that works because I don't buy music from apple.

3. Wow, yet another reason I will never buy an ipod or use itunes. What a farce!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The other thing you can do is transfer all your music files using DVDs or transfer them over the network.

5. Actually, in iTunes, on the new computer, you will need to click on the "Store" button. Go down to where it says "Authorize Computer". This will allow you to take the songs PURCHASED THROUGH ITUNES and place them on your new computer from your iPod. It won't transfer the songs you loaded via disk or other method. If you try to download the songs from iTunes again, it will give you a message that you've already purchased those songs and ask if you want to purchase again. They will charge you a second time (speaking from experience). You are allowed to have up to 5 computers authorized to place that music purchased from iTunes on. As far as 3rd party applications to transfer your music, I've never used one. My nephew uses one but I'm not sure of the name. It works great though according to him.

6. Well thats your choice, but its not a farce. Its just Apple not wanting to be looked at as being the number one supporters of music piracy out there....

There is nothing stopping you from transfering your songs from PC to PC via a network or some kind of media. What Apple didn't want, was people walking around with 40,000 songs in their product, to then arrive at their mates house, plug their Ipod in and swap the 40,000 songs (especially as Apple now sell these songs themselves). Its a one way system... The Ipod syncs with Itunes, not the other way around.

If being able to pirate your mates music, or transfering your own music around is what you want to do, then just do it via the PC, Itunes to Itunes.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Might as well scratch this idea. No sense messing with all the iTunes hassle. :D :D

-Mike

8. No. Just stay away from the auto sync and you'll be fine. I have iTunes installed all over my house and nothing has gone wrong.

9. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Just don't autosync it, or the aforementioned deletion of all your stuff will happen. Unless of course you're going from a Mac to a PC, in which case you'll have to format it.

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    again, dont auto-sync, that way say you want to add like, 10 songs from your computer then delete the songs on the computer, you can without losing them on ze ipod!

11. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    how do you not auto-sync? and should i back them up on a dvd just in case?

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    no dvd nessisary, if you REALLY wanted to back them up, ide just get a portable hard drive. anyways, in the itunes options there will the a setting where you can change it to manual sync, pretty easy.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The ironic thing is though, that an iPod classic, say - is in effect, a portable hard drive!!!:p

14. You could install the i-tunes program on your new computer, and then look for this program called idump. It's free. It will load all of your songs off your ipod onto your new computer, so you could sync all you want after that. It may take a little bit to load your songs from your ipod, depending on how many songs you have.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021