Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid J-bass tricks?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 11, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    (Pacman, Yvon - I'm putting this here because it's more about specific Jazz bass playing techniques rather than J bass hardware itself. H/D)

I recently picked up an AmStd Jazz, and I'm noticing it's an incredibly versatile instrument. I can create more different tones with simple pickup gain and hand placement changes than I ever would have thought possible!

I've heard of a couple of J bass tricks - such as maxing the neck p/u and rolling off the bridge p/u a bit to get a great "growl" (still looking for it, though), and soloing the neck p/u for more of a P sound.

Can anyone suggest some other "old hand" J bass technique tricks?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I was thinking about my pick up selection and my right hand position this week. I never really thought about it, but I always do the same thing.

Neck pick up only: I pluck the string at the end of the neck.
    Both pick 50/50: I pluck over the neck pick up.
    bridge 60 /neck 40: I pluck between the 2 pick up.
    bridge only: I pluck over the bridge pick up.

I guess I should try other combination.

3. chickeNeck

chickeNeck

Dec 6, 2001
    Well, one really easy slammin' tone is to turn all the knobs to 100%. With a fresh pair of nickel or SS roundwounds on yer ax, you've just dialed up Marcus Miller's signature slap tone.

The much overused Jaco tone can be acheived by using JUST the bridge pick up (treble knob "to taste") and playing over the bridge. Is this the growl you wanted?

Or maybe the growl you speak of should be started with both p/u's at 100% (treble at like 25-50%). Then SLIGHTLY pull off a little of the bridge p/u, but only a smidge (to like 97%), and you plucking hand should be over the neck p/u (or slightly behind toward the bridge).

This might give you what you are looking for, which is just a hot signal without the thin sounding mid frequency cancelation you'd get with both passive p/u's at 100%.

Enjoy your J!

4. i think the Jaco growl is achieved by soloing the bridge pickup and rolling the tone knob to 0.

5. I think that turning the tone knob all the way down and soloing the bridge pickup can get a decent Jack Bruce like tone.. at least with a high output pickup like the Dimarzio Model J.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    steamboat - funny you should mention DiMarzio Model Js, 'cuz I just picked up a set!

I'm seriously considering changing my Jazz to a master volume/pan/master tone arrangement.

Comments, anyone? What do I give up by doing this?

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info, htag.

Tell me - is there a volume change when adjusting the pan pot? Or will volume stay about the same as you pan?

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL