Stupid-low action for my fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey guys -

Okay, so, when I had my fretless Buzzard the first time, it was dialed in great - then a couple months with another guy and it came back with higher action than I like. This morning I tried to dial it in, and am having a little bit of trouble that I'm not used to.

Basically, I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to strike the right balance between low and not buzzing against the fretboard. The buzzing itself isn't normally a dealbreaker, but in this case, when I pluck it seems the string touches the board somewhere between the lefthand stop and the plucking finger.

I have lowered the nut, lowered the bridge saddles, lowered the bridge itself, and tried taking relief out. None seem to have worked independently, and I tried to get each setting back to normal before moving to the next option, but I left the bridge saddles down and of course can't expect immediate change from the truss rod. The strings are only high back up by 12 and above, down near first position they're okay by me. So I think if I drop the bridge one more time and *add* a little relief, I may be in business.

Any thoughts?

(By comparison, the action on my Jaco Jazz fretless is "stupid-low" (thanks to Gard for coining the term) - effortless, really, albeit a tad clacky when fingering the note compared to the Buzzard, may be lighter strings. That and my past experience with this Buzzard tell me that what I seek is in there somewhere.)