1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid Me!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassguitar, Jan 5, 2006.

1. I got some DiMarzio custom tapers for my Fender P yesterday. I put them in with a new cap, and output jack. First mod of this type for me, so of course I screwed up. Well sort of. :eek:

Everything went in fine, and works great. :bassist: However the original chrome knobs don't fit on the DiMarzio split shaft pots, and I broke one of the shafts in the process of trying to squeeze it together a bit in efforts to make the knobs fit. D'oh! At least I didn't cut the new strings yet!

So now I've got to get another pot, and two chrome DiMarzio knobs and take it all apart again tonight. Hopefully the store I got the pots at have DiMarzio knobs as well!

The good thing though, is I can totally feel and hear a difference between the new pots and the old ones.

Live and learn I suppose.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

well...I don't know how handy you are but,
    the pot should be a CTS pot..and you can open the can by bending the tabs, and carefully pulling the pot apart. The shaft is replaceable..and you can use one from a beat CTS pot with the same length shaft (if you happen to have one around). I like the brass shafts a bit better then the aluminum ones...they seem to hold up better.

good luck!

3. Thanks.

I thought about that, but the only spares I have are the ones I replaced. The have aluminum shafts, and are shorter than the DiMarzio (brass) ones I replaced them with. The shafts on the new pots are also wider and longer so that's why they won't work with the original knobs. No big deal I guess, I'll get another one on the way home from work. 6.95 it was I think. The knobs will surely be more though.

Turns out I was able to break the "stronger" brass ones!

Have practice on Friday though, so I need to get her up and running right quick!

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Connecticut
    Places like Guitarpartsresource sell sleeves that let you put solid-shaft knobs onto split-shaft pots. They provide just enough structure to keep from causing a problem like you had.

Don't feel so bad. I had a friend bring over a Fender reverb tank for me to work on and he had ripped the shaft OUT of the pot because he didn't know there was a set-screw on the knob. That is much harder to repair because the pots are a lot harder to find.

Worse comes to worse just play it with the bad shaft.

5. irjason

irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I remember an repair article from bass player a while back where a guy's bass had split shafts and knobs that were for solid shafts. The knobs had broken half of one of the splits off, so the luthier cut part of a wooden dowel rod off and glued it in there to give the knob some thing to bite on. Then he sliced up a guitar pick to fit in the other split shaft to keep it from happening there.

6. Funny, that's exactly what I did. The only knobs I could find at the closest store to me were for solid shafts. So I cut a little piece of metal as a spacer and glued it in between the unbroken and broken side. Not bad, though the knob isn't on exactly straight so it's a tiny bit wobbly. I'll replace the pot again eventually.