Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid moses neck!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    these things are next to impossible to install properly...anyone else have trouble with these? or am I just a plain dope? ***!!!!!!!!!!

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    From what I hear, they are very hard to work with. I suggest looking around.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I believe that you're not the first to say this. I've heard from several others on the board that there's been problems with build quality and with the threaded inserts.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    a) the directions suck
    b) the screws are at least 1/4" too short
    c) the directions suck

I need help. Hambone where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :help: :help: :help: :help:

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't remember ever reading a thread that said anything good about Moses.

You should hear from Hambone soon. Meanwhile, do a search on Moses in setup and Miscellaneous to read some horror stories.

6. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    just getting the neck alone was a horror in itself, all the BS I got about when it's going out etc, etc, till I finally pulled the charge. That got someone's attention.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I remember talking to Steve about a custom neck & he was a bit of a runaround. I later met him personally at a NYC Bass Day & he was cool but didn't seem like he had much of a product to offer(as far as demo's or various display models)to promote & actually try on a complete bass, strange...

~S~

8. !

I'm not crazy after all!

I once purchased a Moses neck for a project and it was a nightmare to work with. The finished product, to make a long story short, was not good. In a Fender jazz body, the standard Moses jazz neck had horrible upper fret access and the install did not go as easily, like you guys said above, as was expected.

Either way... I'm no fan of Moses. For the price of a Moses, you can easily get a used Peavey G bass.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You could also get a Status neck if you want carbon construction.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

I built a bass with one and it turned out great. Will backbow if you take it in the sun, but otherwise I was completely satisfied.

a) directions for what? You specify your tuner type when you order, and they come with brass inserts. What do you need directions for?

b) They are standard machine screws, you can go buy longer ones at the hardware store. Or you could make your neck pocket deeper, which might make the bass feel better anyway. Whatever you do, don't use too long of a screw or you'll bottom out and you can crack the inserts out of the neck.

c) what do you need to know?

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like my Moses neck fine, but I wish it showed the grain like the Status & Modulus necks. Still, for a lefty who wants graphite, there are no other options. Mounting the neck proved to be no problem for me, but I am experienced with that kind of thing. I believe Moses will mount their neck on your bass at the factory, but I imagine that would cost more.

[​IMG]

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm surprised about the problems because I have installed two and had one installed by a pro and there was no problem with any of them.

My procedure was:
    Clamp-up of the neck with a soft-grip quick-clamp.
    Aligned the neck
    Marked bolt holes
    Drilled insert holes on drill press
    Installed threaded inserts
    Installed neck
    Strung it up and played it

Maybe 2 hours in the shop, no rush.

The upper fret access should be no different than any other neck since that is a function of the body shape and not the neck. If it was a real Fender body then I am surprised that the bolts weren't long enough because they have been fine on the three Fenders I have used Moses necks on = MIJ J, MIA J, MIA P. Did you have the Moses install kit?

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have not heard about the Moses necks, but the Modulus replacement necks are really easy to work with and are very well made. I did check into the Moses neck, but it just did not seem to have the quality that Modulus has.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I did mine with no problems as well.

Line up the neck where it belongs (string up the E and G at low tension to confirm allignment), then I used a SMALL drill bit to mark (NOT DRILL THROUGH!) the spots to be drilled on the neck......just run the bit through the body holes until it touches the graphite (make sure you are centered in the hole), and then take apart. Then, drill the holes where it is marked. I can't remember if a pilot hole is reccomended....follow your directions on this.

Now, you are only supposed to drill the holes in so deep, so what I did was take the bit I was to be using, and measure from the tip of the bit to the reccomended depth, and wrapped the "stop point" with tape so I had a fail safe stopping point that I could easily see. Thread the inserts in as shown, and you're ready to rock.

Also on the smaller holes such as tuners, if you get into trouble, you can use a toothpick as a dowel and screw it in.

I'd reccomend the use of a drill press for doing this, but I achieved good results without one. YMMV.

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had Steve put 6 threaded inserts in the neck before he sent it out, then when it arrived I made a neck pocket tempate out of some plexiglass (since its clear its easy to mark where the holes go). Drill through the plexiglass where the centers of the holes go. Be precise.

I then transferred that template to the body, routed, made sure the tempate fit and marked the holes, marked the hole locations with the template fitted in the body, and drilled the holes. A drill press is best here, for maximum orthogonality (strait up and down). I did it very carefully with a hand drill.

I didn't have a neck heel plate, so I countersunk washers into the back of the body around the holes. Worked fine, but a neck heel plate would look nicer and be more secure. You should be able to reuse the template to drill the neck plate. Check the template against the back to make sure you drilled strait.

Make sure to choose a machine screw that is the correct depth. You can measure this by putting the screws into the neck, bottom them out with light finger pressure, then hold the neck up to the body and make sure the screws are just slightly shorter than the body (say 1/4" shorter or so). If you can't find a screw the right length, hacksaw a too-long one. I think the were plain old #10/32 machine screws.

Thats still one of my best sounding basses.

16. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Bud @ lecomptebass.com originally installed a NOS Moses neck on my T-bird bass...

[​IMG]

played great, sounded great. but...

After a couple of months the neck started to implode..fretboard overhang cracking, frets coming loose, and the ultimate problem..the headstock BENT

[​IMG]

I contacted Moses and they offered to TRY to fix it..for $85 and also tried to claim that i bought it USED and not NOS (i bought it from Bud so we know it was not used)

Moses never replied to my email after that.

I took it back to Bud and had him install a wenge/wenge LeCompte neck. Now it plays and sounds great, and looks even better.
    [​IMG]

17. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I followed the directions. I will admit, it's partially my fault. I thought that the slotted end was up (duh! wrong!) and broke one of the inserts. I had to drill it out. anyway.
    Marked out the spots to pre-drill the 19/64 holes with and 1/8 bit.
    Drilled the holes slightly over 1/2" down.
    Tried putting the insert in wrong.
    Broke the insert
    Got the other inserts in when I finally figured out the what the lone nut was for.
    Screws are too short though.
    Went to Home depot and bought longer screws.
    Will try again.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had no problems doing a couple of Moses necks. One was a Stingray and the other a G&L. I used the same method Tim Cole uses. I often do wood replacement necks the same way using threaded inserts.

The only problems with the Moses necks were they seemed to need a lot of fret levelling-more than I usually run into.

No problems with warping or delaminating.

I don't particularly care for graphite necks as far as sound and feel goes. They sure do stay in tune though.

19. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Do any of you guys know where I can get more of these inserts aside from asking Steve at Moses?

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe it's not a fair sampling, but I've read at least two horror posts now about these necks, and more significantly, where the bulk of the horror was caused by the company's lack of response to unhappy customers in need of help. As a result, I know one product I'll never consider purchasing. Wow. Completely unacceptable.