Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid niners!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by indolent, Dec 31, 2002.

1. I am offically frustrated at the San Franscico 4(Bend over and get screwed during the fourth quarter)9-ers. At half time I went to Jack in the Box for dinner thinking to myself "We are up by seventeen with all the momentum a team could ever have, there is no way we could loose." After I finished eating I hung out with some friends and didn't go home to watch the game right away because I was so confident. I invited my friend Lee to come over and play some Madden, and when I turned on the TV, I was horrified to see that we were down 24-20! That means in the time I was gone, the Rams scored 24 points to 3 that we scored. Then I watched in horror as Hearst fumbled the ball and the Rams scored again. And then after that do we try and make the score respectable? NO! We run out the clock that was at a minute thirty with numer frickin 27! Not even Barlow, who was doing great. I have been a fan of the niners since I was seven, and have been a fan despite all the problems they had in recent years. But I can't take anymore! The niners have not had a killer instinct all year. In the fourth quarter we have always had a problem of just finishing tough. No matter what our lead we barely manage to win, if we don't even loose. But this is the last straw! How can we let them score that many points unanswered! I can't believe it! It is ridiculous.
    I have always been a fan of the Raiders too, and I am officially bumbing them to number one on my list, and the niners down to number two. I have stood by the niners for many years now, defend them saying that there time was coming againg. But now, I can't fully support a team that can't keep a 17-0 lead. I just can't. Too exhausting. I will still hope the niners can pull something out, and I will always root for them, but I can't have a favorite team that keeps doing things like this.

P.S. - I hope that the niners will make me eat these words and go to the superbowl, I really do.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They had a killer instinct in the 4th vs. Dallas.

3. Sure, but Dallas is EVIL! I am sure Orphans would have killer instinct against them. They would probably shut them out too. :D
    I guess there is still some niner in me.;)

4. [​IMG]-Yessss, Luke... come over to the dark side.

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Throw the Dolphins into the 'bend over and get screwed' list. So close and so many lost opportunities that would have easily put em over the top and win.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'll take the Niners here in Detroit!

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I hate the 49ers, but last night's game was completely meaningless for them. They're already in the playoffs and they knew they'd be playing the Giants in SF next weekend, win or lose. Garcia played only one series and they rested several starters in the second half, when the Rams came back. That game doesn't seem like it's worth getting upset about. Now if they lose to the Giants next weekend, which may well happen, you'll have reason to be pissed.

8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Try being a Bears and Cubs fan.

9. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    :eek: ... poor guy.

10. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I Don't know if the kid can handle it.;)

11. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Alabama (Crimson Tide) is infamous for being able to lose any lead in the 4th quarter. But seeing as Coach Ran, I mean Coach Franchoni left, we need a coach to have a team now lol.

12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    They lost because you left. You have only yourself to blame.

13. I am totally aware that the game was unimportant, but it is just a summation of how we get creamed in the 4th. Also I don't think that it is a good way to start the playoffs. I do hope that Hearst does bounce back, as he is very good, just screwed up twice, but man those were costly screw ups.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I love when the whiners lose. But by the by indolent, you're starting to sound like a fairweather fan. Whiners fans are constantly accused of this because it does seem to be fact. Living here in SF and listening to sportsradio, I'm constantly hearing whiners fans saying they're leaving their team. Weird.

Here's my assessment of the team, during their glory years since 81:

Obviously, "The Catch" was a great moment, and helped start them on their tear. But let's look at them in the late 80s, after two SuperBowl wins, going for a couple more.

Weakest division in football. Ever. Two games a year against the Saints, Rams, and Falcons. Pathetic teams.

Then, later add an expansion team, the Panthers, and you've pretty much got two more freebies a season, (even though the Panthers were good their second season).

But the team was never great. Never. They were good, because you have to be good to win, even against poor teams. But look at them in the 90s. They pretty much get 8 freebie games a year. Games to "warm up" against, get healthy against, help establish rhythm.

They could never get by a great team, the Cowboys, until the Cowboys lost their coach. Then, it took poor game management by a horrible coach, Barry Switzer, for the Niners to beat the Cowboys to go on to face a hapless Chargers team. Then, even with same said hapless coach in place, they couldn't even get to the Cowboys the next year.

The Whiners consistently benefitted from a cush schedule.

Look at them this year, I believe they beat two teams with winning records, Giants and Raiders. They beat the Giants by 3 for the first game of the season before the Giants came together. They beat the Raiders in OT during the Raiders 4 game slide. Not impressive. What did they do against winning teams like the Packers, Chargers, Broncos? They lost.

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Agreed. Although, I can see your point, indolent. I think you're thinking that they could have blown out the Rams and gone into the playoffs with a little bit of momentum.

I'd love to see the Bucs go to the Super Bowl this year. In fact, if they do, I have already decided that I am going to set up a kegger at a local bar and offer free beer to anyone in Bucs garb, until said keg is gone. With that being said, I predict it'll be the Raiders versus the Eagles. A buddy at work says Steelers vs. Packers. We shall know soon enough.

16. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    If the Eagles make it, I don't care who they play. I've been waiting since 1981 for another shot at the Super Bowl, and their last NFL Championship was before my time in 1960. In the AFC, I think the Titans are playing better than anyone now, and they came within a yard of the Super Bowl trophy a few years ago. I say Eagles - Titans, with the Eagles getting some revenge for their first game collapse against Tennessee earlier this year.

17. I mostly started this thread right after I saw the game, because I was quite upset that the niners didn't win, and how they lost in the same pattern that has been bothering them all year. They do good in first 3 quarters, and then no matter how big their lead is, they blow it and either barely win at all, or they loose, and sometimes badely at that (monday). I still love the niners, I am just worried about their little forth quarter problem that keeps bitting them in the rear just about every game. It is so frustrating to see your team get a big lead and then blow it in the forth quarter, just about every game. I am afraid that it doesn't bode well for us at all. And you are right, Hategear, I wanted to have some momentum going against the jets, because we will need it. I would love to see the niners in the superbowl, but that won't happen for sure unless they can keep a lead, or even make a comeback, during the forth quarter.

{edited for spelling}

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, the 'Niners are lame. Now, the Chargers, they rule. RULE!

19. Yeah, they rule loserville! :D

20. I'm wondering if some sort of therapy may be in order.:p