Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid person needs help with sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by arky86, Apr 25, 2002.

1. arky86

arky86

Jan 29, 2002
    I don't know what is wrong with my bass. it will not play anything on the G, D, or A string between the 2 and 7 and i don't want to use any money to repair it if i can fix it myself. so any help woul be much appreciated.:cool: :D

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You need to put some relief in your neck. See a luthier to get the neck set up.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you really want to DIY, you are actually in luck. The loosening of the truss rod, which I agree is what you need, is the less dangerous of the two possible adjustments.

You have to find the end of the trussrod. It is either right above the nut (frequently behind a little plastic cover held on with three teeny screws) or right at the end of the neck where it sinks into the front of the body (if you have a Fender or a clone).

Then, the adjustment to ADD relief (or inward curvature) is to turn the trussrod COUNTERCLOCKWISE or left (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty). You want to turn it no more than a quarter turn (90 degrees), then give it a day to settle, then if you still need more, another quarter turn each day until it's where you like it. If you play hard, you may want a bit more relief. The reason for the wait is that a slab of wood doesn't react immeadiately to the trussrod, but it wll usually flex within a day. LEAVE THE STRINGS TIGHT to do the loosening -- they're what pulls the neck forward.

Be aware that if your bass is old or has been mistreated in the past, it is possible to BREAK the trussrod, which on inexpensive basses is not worth fixing and usually repaired more cost-effectively by simply replacing the neck. If the bass is a Fender or a copy, tat is an easy proposition, but if it's anything else, a neck can be hard to find. SO, if this is a off-brand bass you CAN'T stand to lose, then consider having it done by an experienced tech.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    this is a setup kinda thing.........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. arky86

arky86

Jan 29, 2002