Stupid Pickguard Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThumpBump, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ThumpBump

ThumpBump

May 2, 2017
    TL;DR version: where can I shop for the model of pickguard that ships on a MIM p-bass?

I recently acquired a 15-16 MIM P-bass, and like any good talkbass poster I ditched the stock PG and threw a tort one on there. It's a cheap chinese one, and the holes all line up fine, but the shape is ever so slightly off, so the PG doesn't quiiiite go all the way to the edge of the control cavity on one side. The gap is very tiny, small enough that I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't been the one to put the PG on. But even a tiny gap is not ideal, and I'd prefer not worrying about the possibility of dust and/or pet dander building up in my control cavity over time. So I want to find one that fits just right.

Fender seems like an obvious source for a PG that perfectly fits my Fender bass, but it seems like all the Fender-branded replacement ones I see for sale have that little indent under the neck for making adjustments on MIA basses, and I much prefer the look of the ones that sit flush with the neck. Or else they're "vintage" ones that have extra holes for screwing in tug bars and pickup covers, which obviously the stock one also doesn't have. Does Fender really not sell replacement PGs with the same specs as the ones they put on at the factory? If so, can someone direct me to them?

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    All-Parts sells accurate pick guards for MIM Jazz basses as well.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, shop around. I'm in the same boat, 90's era beater MIM P with a cracked guard. $40 is pretty steep for a guard, I've seen them for a good bit less. If you get one, please post a review on fit, I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself. The break point on mine is right at the jack, which seems pretty common, so I guess you want 4 ply.

5. Look in the classifieds here. MIM pickguards do come up often for nice prices.

6. ThumpBump

ThumpBump

May 2, 2017
    Thanks everyone. So just to be clear, the pickguards they ship on MIM basses can only be purchased directly from Fender if they're attached to a bass?

I know I've only tried one cheap Chinese aftermarket guard, but if I could avoid it I'd rather not try a series of aftermarket guards until I find one that's just right.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While I've had nothing but good luck with WD Music MIM J guards, I've bought and used four and never a problem with fit/screw hole alignment, I have seen others on TB say they were not as pleased by their experiences with WD.

Either way, I've also found that even genuine Fender guards don't always do much for the dreaded jazz gap because it's the control plate mounting position that sucks, not an improperly cut guard. If your guard has problems with fit to the control plate, it's a simple thing to fix. Fill the control plate holes with toothpicks and CA, then shave them flat and mount the control plate where you want it and drill the hole closest to the jack. Run the screw down until the countersink is engaged, but loose enough to reposition if needed, then reposition if needed and drill the next hole, run down the screw and do the last one. This may require a little wok on the control cavity with a drum sander to make room, but it's never very much.

8. ThumpBump

ThumpBump

May 2, 2017
    It's a P, so no separate control plate. The PG is the control plate.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not at all.

a fender "standard" pickguard will fit it perfectly. they're available in a few classic colors.

i've found the real fender ones to just be better quality and a better fit than most all of the aftermarkets.

Lownote38 likes this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Silly me.

11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Pickguardian or Pickguardheaven, I'm not sure which, will send a sample of the material you are contemplating for a nominal charge. It's suitable for use as a key fob.

12. Try The Stratosphere; they sell real Fender parts cheap, usually parted out from genuine instruments. I had the same problem and this worked. Basspartsresource.com is good too

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021