1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid pickguard question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eupharies, Sep 28, 2009.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    hey, basically im not very manual wen it comes to changng things.

Ive bought a metal mirror pickguard for my MIA jazz, and well was wondering how hard it is to change....
    I assume id unscrew the pickup 1st, then he original pickguard but im worried that i wont be able to put it back together.

Ive checked ebay and for instance if you buy a fuly loaded pickgurd pickups included, the pickups seem tobe fitted to the picguard, and im not sure if id be able to do it, and im afraid of wrecking my pride and joy....

Am i just being a muppet and its an easy job or.... :):)

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I replaced my MIA Jazz guard and all that was necessary was to unscrew the pickguard. Leave the pups alone. :bassist:

3. I think on some guitars, like Fender Strats, the pickups are attached to the pickguard, but I've never seen that on a bass. Any Jazz bass that I've ever seen, you could change the pickguard without unscrewing the pups.

4. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    ooo! awesome! if its that easy i should be able to do it!

Also you know the pickup screws, they are silver, and i have black 1s to replace them, is that also easier i dont wanna change the height etc...

5. Nothing to it. Screws come out, old guard off, new guard on. Replace screws, done.
    For the pickup screws, replace one at a time and you won't disturb the height(much).

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Hopefully when you got it, it was confirmed as fitting MIAs? They have a smaller body than MIMs (all? not sure, but the ones I've had). And the only other hassle could be if the holes don't line up. Most annoying is if they HALF line up -- so all the screws want to go in at angles. If that happens, you have a few choices: (1) don't change it, (2) mount it with screws at angles, (3) fill screw holes and redrill. Trying to drill a new hole RIGHT next to an existing one can be a mess and an even bigger headache...

7. while we at it, how would i take the knobs off my SX to change the pickguard?

8. If they don't have screws in the sides, the knobs just pull off, but they may put up a fight.
    Then you have to loosen and remove the nuts securing the pots and output jack. Then remove the guard.

9. if they don't just come right off get a flat head screwdriver and a piece of cloth (to protect the pickguard) and just work your way around each knob with the screw driver until they pop off.