Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid places for gigs...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by crashandburn, Aug 19, 2000.

1. crashandburn

crashandburn

Aug 19, 2000
    Well I am in a band, but this is about the band my sister manages. Her name is Tiffany and the bands name at the time was dfirge. Its now Flatlined, and if u want to check them out, heres a link... http://www.angelfire.com/ak3/dirge ,but neways, the story now. There was a show at the local library. Everything was great, the music, the mosh, everything. All of a sudden some manager woman walks in, it was about 20 minutes from the end of the show. She starts complaing about the mosh and crowd surfacing. Before u know it, everyone is going home because the show was stopped and canceled. It was the ****tiest thing ever. The worse part about it is that all local bands can only do gigs at the librarys beacuse all these other places have shut the bands out of there places. Its really getting bad, before u know it all local bands, most of them r really good, arent going to have a place to preform. its horrible. If neone has ne suggestions, Id appreciate it, I too am in a band, and need a place for shows also. All places are throwing us out, and most of us have talent. I guess thats it, later for now.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just a question. Do you think the concert would have been allowed to continue if there had not been a mosh pit and crowd surfing? Was it the music that the woamn objected to or the crowd's response to it?

Jason Oldsted

3. crashandburn

crashandburn

Aug 19, 2000
    hey jason, i think it was the moshing and stuff, but for 1 hour and 40 minutes they said nothing, and that was good hard music. ud think they would say something in the first hour at least...i think that was an accuse to get us out, and they dont want us back.. i dont like it there ne more.
    michael.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey heres a few places to preform:

Parks if they have a stage thing that has power rock it

Friends houses just make sure the room isn't really small or else people just stand there..wait maybe that was cause of our music oh well

Driveways, you can get a decent crowd into a 2 car drive ;)

if theres any under 21 club/bar things you might try those

well hope people let you play

5. yes get a permit to play in a public park. i saw fugazi in a park this month, for FREE and it was one of the best concerts i've ever been to.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, getting thrown out and being asked not to return is a sure sign of fabulous music. Works for me.

7. Also, try using the school field. You can get a lot of people into a football feild. Or just use the school! I have had four concerts at school, all in the Auditorium. Holds about 1000 people, and is usually full. Try it, see how it works.

Rock on
    Eric

8. Xeo

Xeo

Aug 21, 2000
    Find someone who has a large shed, then get hoses and spray the hell out of people in the mosh. Or have a concert in someone's backyard (great if they have a pool)...

9. You're lucky. My band had rehearsal in the band room, only to have teachers coming in and turning us down. all the amps were being put back to 2! then we had some teacher come in an go "wow, you guys play Led Zeppelin well" despite the fact we were playing Metallica.... :D

Merls

10. Xeo

Xeo

Aug 21, 2000
    That teacher deserves to be sedates with a lethal amount of horse tranquilizer. Metallica and Led Zeppelin are both great bands, but for COMPLETELY different reasons...

It's really scary when someone thinks that KoRn are Metallica...

11. The only reason that our school allows us to play hardcore stuff is that a guy who graduated three years ago, Mike Morris, is the lead guitarist for the band that is touring/opening for Creed. Sh!ty memory won't dredge up their name, but since he is fairly famous, the music teachers allow us to play a lot, with the hopes that another of us will turn out like Mikey. I know I will!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You mean there's NO place in your area to play? No clubs or anything? The park idea was a good one. Also, is there anyplace around that will allow you to put on your own show? Find out about renting someplace out for the night (some bars, if they don't already do this, will give you the stage for the night either in the hopes of, or against, a guaranteed bar minimum). Even someone's house will do, although you do run the risk of noise problems with the neighbors. Sometimes, if you can't find a place to play, you need to make one on your own. Get creative.

13. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    It's always the same!

14. Yeah, It's pretty sad about the lack of venues for underage kids to see bands. When I lived in Dago there was a little place called the "Soul Kitchen" where kids could play and see bands. The city council closed it down because they said it contributed to violence, drugs, etc. Then they passes a curfew. I think it was exactly the opposite, when the kids are watching bands they're not doing drugs, they're not robbing people. <p>
    Theres nothing up in WA, either. Oh well, At least I got to cut my teeth a little bit.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Legal age for alcohol is 16 in Germany, so there's no problem in playing bars and clubs. The real drag is you have to be 18 or older for a driver's licence...
    Unfortunately there's no real music club scene over here, but it's relatively easy to get gigs in youth centers, they even sell alcohol in most of those places...

Anyone ever played on a nudist camp summer party? Um, let's just say it's interesting...:D