Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid question #3,748: Are Barts somehow less "hot" than others?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I apologize in advance for this inanity, but two of my basses have Barts (one with a P-J setup and with a Bart preamp, the other with a Bart MM and an Aguilar pre, neither with adjustable internal pots) and neither bass puts out a whole hell of a lot of volume. In fact, I have to couple my Fodera 200 pre with each in order to produce enough volume.

These are the only two of my basses which seem to be noticeably more "quiet" in terms of output. The question is, has anyone had this issue or do I simply exist on some sort of bizarre, extrastellar plane somewhere else?!?

2. Are you sure that the bass with a Bart pre doesn't have an internal trimpot?

Both of my basses are pretty quiet, I guess, if we're going by the standards of Alembic or Music Man or Status electronics.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Pete - yeah, I sniffed around inside the cavity and found no trim pots at all. Now, granted, the one with the Bart preamp is my Curbow protoype, which was made in the late 80s, so it's possible that things have changed since then from a feature standpoint.

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Hey, I was wondering the same thing! And my bart's are relatively new (on a modulus purchased within the last year) Those pickups seem really quiet to me . . .

5. I think 15 or so years is too long to assume things are the same.

My HR5.3 a/p has an output trim. As prolly all do. It puts out a little more at max than my ibanex SRX (and that thing verges on too loud)