Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid question about matching cabs to amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hujo, Dec 4, 2002.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi all! I'm thinking of buying a 250w@4 ohm amp, and match with a 410 300w@8 ohm cab. Would there be any problems with that setup? I tried to search but nothing really answered this, probably because I don't know anything about this stuff... I'd appreciate some help!

Thanks alot!

2. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Nope, no problem. If you tried to run a 300 watt amp through a 240 watt cab, THAT would be a problem. A cabs wattage is usually maximum wattage.

Dig?

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    It should work fine, you just won't get the full 240w out of your amp.

Malcom, running a 300w amp through a 240 watt cab wouldn't be a problem either, though if you pushed too much volume you could risk damaging the speakers.

There are also many different methods for measuring the power of an amp, and many different methods for measuring the power handling of a speaker.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, how much would i expect to get?

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    My guess is about 160W. Depending on how the wattage was measured on that amp it could give you a lot of volume, or it could be lacking in volume. You'd have to try it out to be sure. You would also have the option to add another 8 ohm cab, that way you'd use the full power of your amp and push more air.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of manufacturers say it's ok to run an amp with twice the power rating through a cab.
    E.g. 600W @ 4 ohm amp and a 300W, 4 ohm cab.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    'Bout that. I might've said 150.

8. Most bass heads today are designed to work best at 4 ohms. That will allow you to hook up 2, 8ohm cabs in parallel which ends up being 4 ohms. Some amps will go as low as 2 ohms but not all. When an amp is rated at 250 watts @ 4 ohms like others have said, it's gonna put out about 150-160 watts into 8 ohms. Is this gonna be enough? It all depends on the efficiency of the speaker and how loud you need to play. For instance if your speaker is rated at 105 db efficiency 150 watts would be pretty loud. But, if it were rated at 91 db efficiency than 150 watts would barely get it moving. In any event, you arn't going to hurt anything unless drive the amp into hard clipping for an extended period which could damage the speakers and the amp as well.

9. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks alot guys. Perhaps i should clarify a little; The amp i'm talking about is an Ashdown MAG 250, with 250w RMS and 500 w peak. I've also been thinking about a 200W version of it, which is less pricey. I think that has a peak of 400w. And then there's the MAG400, which leaves 500w RMS and 1000w peak. The price of all three differs no more than 100$. Can i run the MAG400 into a 300 or 200 w @8 ohm without problems?

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Here's one for you all...what's your opinion on when too many cabinets come into play? For instance running two 8 Ohm cab's parallel to achieve a 4 Ohm load as opposed to using one 4 Ohm cab. I know we get into the "headroom" issue but I am wanting your opinions on when there are too many cab's. Would it be better to run one cab hard to get maximum effect or run two or more for more headroom? My fear is having multiple cabinets to get the most out of an amp but underpowering the cab's.

11. IMHO, you're better off with the added cab IF you can carry it, store it, and if you have room on stage for it. More cabs = more volume + more headroom = good.

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Excellent point...