1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid question, but hey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey, i know this isnt the smartest question ever asked on this board, but can i use a preamp like the Eden wp 100 by just plugging it directly into a cab or not. if not, what else do i need. thanks for answering this noob of a question
    Scott

2. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    I think you also need a poweramp for that.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You also need a power amp. QSC, Crest, and plenty of others have tons avaliable in all price ranges, from 100 watts up to 8000 or so. Bassists seem to use 1000-2000 watt power amps often.

4. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    hookay thanks for the help, but whats the advantage of just going with a preamp and powercamp head all in one?

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Most would say flexibility. If you need more power, you only have to replace the power amp, whereas with a head, you have to replace the whole thing. Same goes for preamp, except change "more power" to "better tone" or something.

The obvious cons are weight (which lightweight power amps counteract) and more things to go wrong. I've done both, and will do both in the future.

6. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    cool thanks

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you already have a eden wp-100 consider yourself VERY fortunate. That is a VERY desireable preamp.

if you'd like a light weight power amp you might consider a stewart world 1.2 (1200w into 4ohms bridged, 350per ch stereo, 11 LBS) I've used one with another eden amp as the poweramp section and it sounded pretty close to the warm tone of the internal eden amp on my WT550.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Less crud to carry around. If you get a good enough head, it'll sound just as good as a pre/power setup. BTW, Bass Alone has an Eden WP-100/WT-1000 set on consignment right now. Val'd probably cut a pretty nice deal on it.