1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid question, but where can I take a bass to be routed for new pickups?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheOriginalName, Nov 7, 2018.

1. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Hey talkbass,

Wanted to ask where routing would be done on a bass for new pickups?

2. Ask around. Word of mouth is almost the only way that local techs get work in my area.
    Join a local FB musician's group & ask there.

3. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Alright, will do. Thanks man. My friend suggested guitar center, but I looked and it seems too pricey.

4. never, Never, NEVER to Guitar Center
    is my advice

5. Where do you live? Someone reading this may be local and can give a suggestion.

jackn1202 and the_home like this.
  6. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    I live near Fort Worth.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    :laugh: :roflmao: :eek:

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Is Houston too far away? @Hopkins lives there.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

At home with a Dremel. Take your time. If you need a new wire canal to the control cavity get a flexible drill extension and use an aircraft drill bit.

10. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    While I’m considering it, I have no knowledge of how to rout, and I’d like to take it to a professional if it were something more than an unfinished kit.

Bob_Ross and jamro217 like this.
  11. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, Houston would be about 7 hours or more even without brutal traffic. I know there's a few TBers in Ft. Worth, maybe if a "NEED HELP IN FT. WORTH" tag were added to the title someone would pipe up.

12. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ... or if you fill out your profile more completely.

Pilgrim and jackn1202 like this.
  13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Go to "Off Topic", there is a sticky at the top of the forum there called "TalkBass Mapped!!" and you can look up members by location. PM several and ask if they can help. Here's a link.
    TalkBass mapped !!!

14. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Google: guitar tech fort worth

There are several. Pick a local shop, not a chain store like GC. Pick one that's been around 30-40 years.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Google wood working store in your area and ring them up and tell them your story: you need a solid body bass routed out for a pickup cavity. Those guys can hook you up with hobbyists that would likely do it for free (or a few brews), using the proper tools and treat it like they owned it.

Or: find an actual guitar maker in your area that actually builds solid body guitars. This ensures experience in routing, not relying on hope that the tech actually has the experience.

Why this? Because woodwork is best left to people that do it ALL THE TIME rather than a guitar tech that has done it a few times. You want the best results possible, yes?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Wisebass, sissy kathy and Pilgrim like this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Find a tech that has a background in fine woodwork, like someone who spent a lot of time doing museum-quality restoration of antique furniture. There has to be more than one. :cool: