1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid Question: Darkstar, or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Yes!!

24 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Hell Yes!

50 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. carrot jokes are lame

42 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i've got my trust '51 RI that i love. it feels great, plays great, looks great, yadda yadda. but... whenever i want P bass tones, i break out the fretless. so Roxanne (that's the '51 RI) is feeling unloved. so i've decided that to break her out of the rut, i need to give her a new tone.

enter... the Darkstar!

long story short... either she gets a darkstar, or Roxanne goes on the block. i have a little woodworking skills, decent electronics skills, and after i get my "Economic Stimulus Package" from the government, i'll have the dough.

soooo... loyal TB brethern, do i darkstar, or no?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Yes. Yes, you do.

3. post some pictures

im just curious

4. I wasn't impressed with the DSed bass I played. Keep in mind, only played one and I know setups, etc. can vary. I found it to be VERY sensitive to how you played it over the pickup. It also picked up WAY too much finger noise from the neck :( I would play one before you start routing and cutting a good P bass!! If I was looking for more versatile, warm and different tone, I'd try to find a Peavey T-40 pickup on eBay before I went with a DS.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The DS is a great pup; and I have one DS bass.

However, I'd try the SD SCPB3 in that particular bass first, if I were you.
    It's a drop in replacement, and big, hot, broad single coil response, and very dynamic....which are some of the traits the DS has.

6. I wasn't impressed with the DSed bass I played. Keep in mind, only played one I know setups, etc. can vary. I found it to be VERY sensitive to how you played it over the pickup. It also picked up WAY too much finger noise from the neck :( I would play one before you start milling and cutting a good P bass!! If I was looking for more versatile, warm and different tone, I'd try to find a Peavey T-40 pickup on eBay before I went with a DS.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmmmm....
    I don't see "No" as an option. :meh:
    I've got the Quarter-Pound in my P, and it's a very good pup. Lots of output and very versatile. I play everything from blues to rock, Motown to funk, and everything in between. As an inexpensive drop-in, you don't have much to lose, except time and maybe a little $$$.

8. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Was it a "factory installed" DS or aftermarket? My DPLE II Lakaland w/ factory installed DS does not suffer any of the negatives you describe, so I'm wondering if it might have been a function of the install, wiring, electronics etc.

9. It was an aftermarket installation but the person that did it is VERY good with builds and repairs. He's kept VERY busy. If the finger noise was reduced, I would probably love the sound. I would like to try one that is working as you mentioned.

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That sounds more like a string choice issue than a pickup issue; but, I could be wrong, YMMV, etc....

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I don't get it. You probably got more finger noise than a normal P-Bass because the extended range of the DS. Cut some highs on the amp, or roll the treble cut a bit on the bass, and you're set.

But I also vote "no." I would try the duncan replacement first.

12. I wouldn't change the rout on that bass for a DS. I vote NO.

I might try different drop-in pickups, but if I wanted a Darkstar, I'd buy a Turser '54 P clone for $125 and install the pickup on it. Not much at risk (although the pickup would cost more than the bass), and something to gain without ruining a Fender '51 RI.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The best bass for a DS drop in is the squier vintage telebass.

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    They are VERY sensitive pickups ...

Not only do they have extended high and low end, but they have single pole piece pickups as well ... I use GHS Pressurewound strings on all of my DS basses and the oval wrap makes for less finger noise and still plenty of growl.

The QP is very similar sound wise to the DS with not so much output and slighly shy in the bass next to the DS but a much cheaper and easier choice if you are looking for extended clean sound.

;) ... Getting used to the extra sensitivity of the Dark Stars took a bit of playing time but was worth it for me.

15. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    hmmm... interesting...

i'm not sure if i like the idea of throwing in a Quarter Pounder simply because it seems like it'd be about the same sound and tone i have now, only slightly hotter.

i love this bass, but again, i have the P bass tone covered, so i wanted to give it a new tone. something completely different.

still recommend the SD?

16. Get out a Dremel and start drilling! Why not?

17. :eek: I suggest a router or better yet, a milling machine :smug:

18. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    fixed.
    read the heading. if Seymour says it's so, it's so. sorry.

19. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    uh, what if i only have a drill press and a buttload of sandpaper? :D

i have a dremel, too

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Trevor: my bad then; when I bought my scpb3, then quarter lb'er was for the split-p humkbucker only, which is sonically, a very different thing.

Keep in mind, the scpb3 is wound to about 10kohm, it's a very snarly beast for a single coil pickup, and don't think of it really as "same as stock, only more."