Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid question, do all basses have preamps?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hi, I was thinking about purchasing a bart preamp for my p bass but I wasn't sure if they use preamps, or if they just use pots...

sorry for the ignorance!

Greg

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    not all basses come with preamps, but i suppose that you could put a preamp in any bass (of course it may not fit until you remove some wood). that being said, i've owned about 10 basses, some with active electronics and some without, but none of them have had a preamp. i use a preamp in my effects rack instead of on my bass.

hope that helps!:bassist:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mr L337 speaker, not all basses have preamps.

RobertUI, if your bass had active electronics you had a preamp.

Your pickups can be passive or active.
    Your electronics can be active or passive. Passive electronics is just volume and tone controls. Active electronics is eq cut and or boost.

4. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Ok let me clarify. I had active EMGs in my "P" clone about 15 years ago. There was nothing with the pickups other than a battery (i'll admit that maybe there was a preamp IN the pickup, but not from what I've read) and the pots that were used for volume and tone only. There was no additional circuitry with the pickups. I installed them, so I know that I would have noticed. The EMG P-J set that I sold recently was identical to this. I answered according to how I understood his question. Please help me clarify if I am misunderstood here.

Hope that helps.

5. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden

The EMG's have the preamp in the pickup itself. That is why you have 25k pots for those pickups.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, just to make sure you understand the difference: while you had active pickups you had passive wiring.

7. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    ... thanks, i do understand the difference, i made a mistake in my initial posting when i noted "active electronics". this was an error, which also led to my confusion. you are exactly correct, i had passive wiring with actice pickups only. thanks!