Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Question: How do I string an acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mlbarlow, May 23, 2005.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Sorry. I'm an electric player who has recently acquired an acoustic bass, and have no idea what to do with those little pegs on the bridge. I don't want to break it trying either. Can someone walk me through the process?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Those pegs are called bridge pins and should pull straight out. If not, undo the strings at the tuner, let them completely loose, stick your hand through the soundhole and help push them out.

Then you pull out the string, insert new one, and put the bridge pin back in to hold it in place.

3. Mine also have a groove in the pin to accomodate the string. Depending on humidity, you may need to GENTLY twist the pin to remove it. :bassist:

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I see from your profile you have a MK Dragonfly. The bridge is just sitting there, under tension from the strings. You might want to discretely mark one side of it to make sure you put it back in the same way, if it falls out.

Alternately, if you can get th eend pins out without removing all the strings, you can re-string it one at a time.

If you are replacing the old strings with more or less identical strings (gauge-wise), I'd trim the new ones prior to re-stringing, so you can put the cut-end into the hole in the top of the tuning post. Otherwise, getting a locking-wrap is difficult, unless you have a third hand.

Drop the ball into the hole, and insert the pin with the groove towards the bridge. Pull the string out until the ball is against the pin. Use your thumb to hold the pin down tight, and use a pegwinder (it REALLY is easier with a pegwinder) to get it started. The end pin should hold once you get 2-3 wraps on the tuning post.

I have the 4-string model. I do both strongs on one side, then turn the whole bass around and switch hands, as it's easier to wind the strings without reaching accross the headstock.

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    One trick for marking movable bridges is to use a strip of vinyl electrical tape along either the front or back of the foot of the bridge (or both I guess). Easy to apply and remove.