Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid Question # ? MD/DE/PA Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by randlk, Aug 30, 2005.

1. I have an old Fender 100 watt bass amp that needs new imputs(?). I'm not technically-minded; I'm talking about the two areas (holes) where you can plug in a 1/4" imput? My local repair guy says Fender is proprietary and I have to ship this huge, hevay amp off to the West Coast to get it fixed. This is not going to happen; it would cost more than I paid for the amp! Can anyone in the MD/DE/PA area help? I can put the parts in if I can just find them!!
    Thanks!

2. I had a Fender BXR100, and the bass input sockets were mounted on the printed circuit board, so it may not be as easy as replacing a stand-alone guitar jack.

Having said that, it isn't rocket science, and you should be able to get spare (Fender?) parts sent out to you, if you are sure that that is all that is wrong. However, if neither socket works, I would suspect the electronics that they connect to rather than the sockets themselves.

When a repairman suggests shipping an complete unit back to Fender, I would go for a second opinion (which is what you are doing I know, I know).

Good luck.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's no such thing as proprietary 1/4 inch jacks. However, there are a number of different mounting schemes used for PC mounted jacks. A really good technician can use jumpers to connect a different style jack to a PC board; obviously yours doesn't fall into that category.

Check at the Parts Express and Mouser websites, you may see a jack that's an obvious drop-in replacement. Know what you're looking for too, many input jacks are normally closed switching jacks that short the input when nothing's plugged in. I'd pull the old jacks first. The biggest part of the job is usually just getting the PC board out of the amp. Worst case you should be able to order them from Fender.

4. Thanks for the help and advice! I'll try to contact Fender on-line. :)

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If e-mailing Fender doesn't work, check Fender's web site for its network of authorized service centers in the area, and start calling around. I don't think you need to go through an authorized dealer first, because I assume this isn't warranty work. There's no way you should need to ship it to the West Coast.

6. Unfortunately, any of the local shops I deal with say they are "authorized " Fender dealers and that I need to ship this monster to the West Coast. They all tell me they can't get parts from Fender. I really do like this old amp, but reason says it's just not worth shipping it from MD to CA just to replace the imputs!

If anyone in my area has info on a local/regional Fender dealer who might work with me please let me know!!!

Thanks! :hyper:

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You don't want to call Fender dealers, but authorized service centers, which are generally separate establishments. It's a shame the dealers haven't referred you to the nearest one. With some digging on Fender's site, you can find the service center lists. Here's the one for Pennsylvania:

http://fender.com/support/service_centers/svc_centers_uselec.php

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's a load of bull, pure and simple. Translation: "We don't have anyone working here who knows what he's doing, and we don't want to fix your crappy old amp anyway, we want to sell you a new one."
    These dealers will also be the first to complain about how they can't compete with online retailers, yet they won't provide you with the only reason you would have to continue to patronize them: superior customer service. Go figure.
    Definitely try a service center, fixing things is how they make their living.