Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid question regarding vol/tone knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicfit, Jan 25, 2004.

1. nicfit

nicfit

Dec 30, 2003
    Hi,

After discovering the new pickguard I bought couldn't fit my P-Bass :mad:, I re-assembled the old pickguard.

When screwing on the knobs, does the 2 knobs need to be aligned in any way? I'm worried they won't turn round completely after screwing them on, if you know what I mean, since they are now not the way they used to be. However, they do 'feel' the same.

I must admit this is a stupid question but I'm completely unsure and would not like to play with a half-volumed bass if my suspicions prove to be correct (however rarely that might be).

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, since they're rotary controls it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is whether or not the knobs have numbers or dots, then that's only a cosmetic issue. You can mount the pots however you'd like.

3. nicfit

nicfit

Dec 30, 2003
    Thank you so much...now my paranoid mind can rest at ease :)

But it now also means I have to shell out a ridiculous amount of cash for a piece of Fender-approved plastic.
    :confused:

4. Funny how that seems isn't it?:confused:

Actually, as long as the various wires aren't twisted or taught between components, it doesn't matter where the 0-10 range rests. What DOES matter is the orientation of the knob - especially if it has digits on it. For a 0-10 knob with a marker, I like to position the knob where I can just barely see the pointer at 0 in a playing position. That means that 10 is just out of sight.:D For pots with center detents, I like the pointer in the middle of travel pointed at me. For digit knobs, I position it so O is pointed right at me in the playing position.

See? You were actually confused by a pretty detailed subject!:bassist:

{edit}written while TP up there got it right - first - without pontificating:mad:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not yet you don't. Replacement pickguards, especially with P-basses because there are so many variations seldom fit the exact bass you have. You can get them to fit with a Dremel and a pocket knife shaving where it JUST doesn't fit. May have to adjust the screw holes a bit too.

Your only other option is pretty much to send your original pickguard to a place like WD music and hav them trace it for you.