1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid Question: screws & G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaelin, Aug 13, 2007.

1. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'm kind of embarrassed to even ask this question. I tried removing the pickguard from my G&L SB-2 Tribute and ended up totally buggering up the screws. Apparently I don't have the exact sized screwdriver I need.

Does anybody know what sized screwdriver I should have so I don't end up having to replace all the screws again?

I have two sets of screwdrivers and not one of them really fits the screws in my G&L.

I can't believe I misspelled stupid. Maybe the question isn't stupid -- maybe it's me?

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm afraid I don't know what size driver you need - but seriously, if you're having difficulty just removing the pickguard, I'd advise you to get whatever you want doing carried out by a professional. Why are you removing the pickguard anyway? If you're making a botch of that, then I don't think you should be tackling anything complicated and it sounds to me as if your bass is in danger.

Not trying to be funny here, just some friendly advice. :)

3. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    Using an electric screwdriver can bugger things too. Did you do it by hand ?

4. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes I am using a hand screwdriver. I just need to figure out what size I need because none of my screwdrivers really fit the screw heads that well. I'm normally pretty careful and I am up to the task -- I just need the friggen right screwdriver.:crying:

5. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Bring the bass ovr t the hardware store and try out different sizes.

6. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    On my Tribute the pickguard screws use a #2 Phillips tip, if I grab my handy 5-in-1 screwdriver.

7. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I'm sorry to inform you that your bass is now ruined.

If you simply mail it to me I'd be happy to dispose of it for you.

;)

Seriously, I use a small-ish philips head screwdriver - came with my rinky-dink little tool set I got at Wal-Mart for about ten bucks. If you get a tool set with a few different screwdrivers in it the smallest one should do the trick. Remember rule number one of working on your instruments, though: never force anything!

8. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    On my basses a number 2 is too big and a number one does not fit right. I think they might be a #1pz or some such thing. There are different types of Phillips slots and I thought the pz were wider and shallower than the standard #1 or 2 Phillips. Though I might have the slot description reversed, it is the basic point. Try a builders hardware or ask your local music shop. Preferably one with a tech on hand....

Or take the screws to the hardware store and find a bit that fits. I will be doing that very thing tonight or tomorrow as I have a few buggered up screws that arrived that way and I do not wish to get them halfway in before rounding out the slots. So, new screws for me...

9. They should just do away will all screw heads other than robertson.

lowsound

10. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I tried to keep it simple, but you opened the can... There are in fact several varieties of "#2 Phillips" and some may fit better than others. I am aware of #2 TEK for self drilling sheet metal screws and #2 DRY that fit bugle head drywall screws. Before I posted last time I grabbed the 5-in-1 and tried the #1 and #2 tips; #1 fits decently but #2 is clearly the best choice.

I am convinced my $3 check-out-line 5-in-1 is superior to my far more expensive "Industrial" screwdriver set because it tends to fit screws better, does less damage to the screws, and the driver tips haven't worn as bad. The Industrial set appears to be made of relatively soft metal, maybe someone's idea of protecting the screws from the user and the "40% more torque" provided by the handle design.

Word. And find new screws to go with that perfect bit.

+1. There has to be some great conspiracy that has kept the Phillips head at the top of the market for so long. Torx is a keeper, too, IMHO.

11. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Has anybody ever seen a bass that used something other than Phillips' heads?

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Since you went there after I went there....:D

I am looking into using only torx screws on all my bases. Especially when I start custom building...and probably all stainless at that. Sure it will be a few pennies more, but if all builders went the route of premium screws, these posts wouldn't exist.

And before cost comes up, top quality stainless screws will add maybe...maybe 10 bucks to the cost of a bass.

And I hear ya on the 6 in 1 or 10 in one type screwdrivers, they are amazing and will handle a lot of tasks far better than I ever expected. My tool box would be naked without one.....

Anyway, back to topic at hand....