Stupid question - Tailpiece wire/cord

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dbrillha, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dbrillha

Apr 18, 2003
    Hi folks.

So I finally got a double bass. It's a CCB that I got off a guy on Craigslist for cheap (even for a CCB). The tailpiece cord is broken, and I'm looking to replace it. The tailpiece is one of the types that has a scooped out hollow on the back that the wire/cord goes into, so it doesn't need to come out the top.

I've searched a bit on this topic, and I've read of people using everything from coathanger wire, to steel cables with crimped on metal ends from home depot.

What would be the best/easiest/cheapest thing to use?
    Is their a FAQ on installing this wire/cord?

2. I can't imagine anything cheaper, & it's worked fine for a year or so. Talk to (all hail) Bob Gollihur.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Look at Mike Pecanics tailpiece cords. I think they are the best. But this topic is as subjective to everyones opinions as everthing else...

Some people will only use what was used on 200 yr old italian basses while other are more open minded.
  4. So, Don, what did they use for tail-gut 200 years ago? :confused: Certainly it wasn't gut was it? It's hard to imagine a piece of gut being strong enough. (What did they make coathangers from back then?)
  5. Try an aircraft cable tailpiece wire from
    They're cheap as chips and work absolutely perfectly.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Any cable works well. The most compelling reason, IMO, to recommend the Pecanic, Velvet cord or similar other is that you can simply tie it in a knot. If you use the proper bend knot, it is easily loosened and adjusted if you don't hit the right length the first try or wish to adjust after it stretches.

You can't adjust cable with a crimped coupling as easily.

Otherwise, there isn't a lot of difference. DO NOT use coat hanger wire. It is dangerous.
  7. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    if you do use a piece of aircraft or other cable, you might want to get some heat-shrink tubing to put on the ends so they don't become unwound
  8. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Since you're in a position to be changing right now, why not go with the Pecanic or the Velvet cords? Aircraft cable is by all accounts a huge improvement over the useless coat hanger wire; and, according to the guys at David Gage's and some other luthiers (who may or may not pipe up here), the Pecanic cord is an improvement over the aircraft cable. Of course, with a low-level bass (I don't know what a CCB is?) it might not make a difference--but the price is not really an issue, this is inexpensive stuff we're talking about here.
  9. CCB = cheap chinese bass or crap chinese bass, mostly produced by the one giant factory that middlemen who stick their own label on them, such as Cremona, etc. To clarify, not all chinese basses are CCB's, some such as Shen and Christopher are very good, and are the basis for some great instruments from King Double Bass and Norton Customs. Most of the basses offered on Ebay are CCB's.