Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, May 24, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    My Ibanez GSR200 had stock X-light strings (E string is .95). How much heavier gauge strings can I get without needing setup changes?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

We don't consider questions stupid, unless you don't ask it or it asks "Which is the best (anything musical)" ;)

A .105 E string is very common and should be acceptable to almost any bass. BUT, you're increasing the diameter of the strings, which means they are closer to the frets and pickups, so you may need to make some adjustments if you hear buzzes/rattles/clicks/clacks.

FYI - I always have to make adjustments to the set up on my basses if I change gauges, (sometimes even brands!).
  3. What Rick said.

I check (not always adjust) my setup every time I change strings. Even if they are the same brand and size as the ones they are replacing.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Is there a web site out there that can show me what to look for on the bridge etc?
    also, this question has probably been asked many times, but the search function is screwed up: what does the silk wrap on most strings do?

has a pretty good setup guide, though its Fender specific. I imagine you can extrapolate to meet the needs of just about any bass.

I haven't a clue what the function of the silk wraps on strings actually is, but they sure do look pretty.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I disagree. The nut and bridge saddles set the strings' height from the bottom of the string, not from the center of the strings' diameter. So, the strings should not be any closer to the frets or pickups. However, heavier strings may put more tension on the neck causing the headstock to be pulled towards the body and actually increasing string height somewhat...
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What you're saying is true and I should have worded my statement better --- The thicker strings have more excursion and will travel closer to the pickups/frets when attacked. Plus, the saddles often have to be repositioned due to changes in intonation.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have always found this to be the case as well - but then I'm always adjusting my setup anyway - but any change of string types means a whole re-appraisal of setup for me.