Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XbassplayerX, Aug 8, 2005.

1. XbassplayerX

XbassplayerX

Feb 12, 2005
    on dingwall afterburner 2s y r the frets sideways? :bag:

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Not exactly an expert on the topic but I know its called a "fan fret system" and I belive it improves inotation.

3. I think fan frets are used so that the thicker strings can be a longer scalelength than the thin strings

what that does I'm not sure

4. Frets sideways...Naw... their angled.
    the system is called the Novax fanned frets system, I'll make the explantion short as you can read all about the concept and why it works on the www.Novaxguitar.com website. In essence the different scale lengths allow each string to speak at its proper length by balancing tone and string tension.
    "Looking inside a grand piano, we see that the string lengths vary with the pitches of the strings. But fretted instruments are traditionally constructed to a single scale length, negating the benefits of scale length relative to pitch"
    Quoted from the Novax wesbite.

Bottomline you get each string to sound right. B strings that are musical and playble, and no plinky G strings. You really do feel it when your playing and hear the differences.

Lastly, in regards to playing a bass w/ fanned frets, I guarentee you will not have any problem playing this bass, it will take you longer to read this post than get accustomed to the fretboard. Your hands will not notice any difference, however your ears will. It makes a huge difference