1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Can tubes become less powerful? (for lack of a better term...) I've noticed that my month old SVT-3 Pro is less loud than when I got it. I have to turn the gain all the way up and is impossible to clip it. Where a month ago, I only had to turn it up to 3/4 before it started overdriving. I got a new distortion pedal and forgot to turn the gain down on it. When I looked at the amp. That gain light was brighter than a christmas tree. There was A LOT of signal going into it.

So... can tubes... or amps for that matter... lose power over time? or is it just a case of me going insane? Maybe I'm losing my hearing. :D

I checked the tubes... all 5 of them still have an orange glow inside of them.

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    No idea... but you might check your basses battery (assuming it's active). Also if you've eq'd differently, cut some lows. I'm sure 8mmOD will be along shortly to reprimand you for pushing the ultra low button! :)

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Arn't the SVT-3 tubes only in the preamp section? Therefore, not really affect volume much?

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    maybe it's reeeeaaaaaalllllyyyy loud and you're just going deaf?!?!? :eek:

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There are tubes for all the gain in the power amp too. I suppose that really overdriving it could wear them out early...... but a months use I doubt.

Be sure you haven't set the "tube drive" lower..... that adjusts the voltage going to the power amp drive tubes, and by design can limit power.

But since you said it used to clip faster, maybe it was down then and is up now?

And, what's this about a distortion pedal? When was that "in" vs "not in" the chain?

Anything else changed about your setup around the same time?

6. It could be a bunch of things but don't be too quick to totally rule out preamp tubes. While they dissapate a bunch less power than power stages, they can still occasionally get flakey just because they are tubes - just plain more vulnerable to physical damage and degradation than SS stuff.

I have had a few amp problems that initially had techs scratching their heads, things like low volume, cutting in and out, clipping and such that were all cured by swapping preamp tubes.

Peace,
    S