Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok this is probably going to sound really stupid, but since I have not been able to find an answer to this question maybe it's not. I am thinking of getting an Ashdown head and was wondering if this could be run with just one 8 ohm cab. All the stuff I can find about them lists power as 4 ohm and I am wondering if you have to stick to 4 ohms or if 8 will be fine. I believe 8 is a lower load so it seems it would work, it just wouldent use the full potential of the amp. ok I hope that made sense. thanks in advance.

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok thanks thats what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The power difference between 8 ohms and 4 ohms looks like a lot, but the audible difference is really not much at all, not nearly as much as the loudness increase you would get by adding another cab.

4. Alltho most amps sound better at 4ohms.. :)

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Isn't that mostly because they put out more power?

6. Not true, to my knowledge. Damping factor decreases with lower load impedance, and as a result, the bass range will sound more flabby.

BTW, this is theory. Most normal people won't hear any difference with most normal amps.

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Joris, doesn't the amp tend to produce more distortion at lower impedences? I've heard that while many amps are giving wattage specs at 2 ohms, it's best not to use less than 4 ohms for most of them due to heat buildup and the THD. Do you agree with this?

8. I think it's more of a quality thing. As with most things, you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap amp capable of 2 ohms, most likely the THD will rise with lower impedance, and it may even shut down due to thermal protection at 2 ohms & full load. A respected pro's amp will most likely live up to its specs and keep on going even down to 1 ohm... where speaker cabs may occasionally go... due to impedance variations at high power and over-excursion etc. etc.

I think it's nonsense to advise not to load ANY amp with 2 ohms. If you do, just make sure the amp handles it well. The price tag and the manufacturer's reputation are ways to tell.

Might I add: for music amplification, THD is an almost useless spec. I bet you couldn't tell 10% THD on a live rock stage. I can't (been there).

All in my humble opinion.

Regards,
    Joris.