Stupid Questions on Speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvtwin, Jul 13, 2004.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried or heard of using subwoofer styled speakers in their bass cabs. Now, I'm talking about the ones that are usually installed on high end auto systems that are designed to take huge amounts of wattage and be hit as hard as you can hit it with whatever you got. I have a bad habit of pushing my low end really hard and shortening the life of my speakers and I haven't found a suitable replacement speaker that will allow me to do silly things like, trying to make my 210 cab sound like 2 15's and such. (And no, I'm not going to start playing 2 15's...) It's usually I've brought the small cab to a small gig but everyone at the show decided to play on 11 and I'm just trying to keep up.

Any thoughts?
  2. The auto sub speakers are very inefficient-- they require, and are therefore designed for, high power.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, and their frequency range is very limited. Too low for even bass without support of a midrange driver. You can spend alot of time and money designing speakers. Some people enjoy doing this and it makes a great hobby, but there are laws of physics that you can never defeat.

My recommendation is try to find cabs and an amp that will solve your problem. Buy bass cabs that have good low frequency response and find an amp of sufficient drive to power the cabs. It may simply be that your rig is too small to acheive what you are seeking.
  4. WE use Eminence Kappa pro speakers in the double 15s on the PA, never blown one. We drive them with a big carver PT2400, no probs, reasonably efficeint too...
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I think this is what Basson Sound was thinking when they designed their cabs. You might check them out.