Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by beaumcrunner, Apr 20, 2005.

1. beaumcrunner

beaumcrunner

Dec 24, 2004
    could someone explain to me hammering? i have heard so many definitions but i am still confused about it. also when i wanna go up and down particulary on "come together" can i still do this even without a fretless? i'm assuming i do need a fretless cuz it sounds like crap.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    An example of a hammer-on would be to fret a note with, say, your index finger. Pluck the note, and then, while holding this note with your index finger, bring down your middle, ring, or pinky finger onto another fret on the same string. If you do it with enough force (it doesn't take much), the fret that you brought your finger down on will sound without having to pluck it. You can also hammer-off, or pull-off. An example would be to have two fingers pressed down on different notes on the same string-pluck the string, then take whichever finger is closer to the bridge off, and the note that your other finger is holding down will sound. You can do these with any arrangement of fingers, you can do it across several strings, etc. It's basically just fretting a note hard enough where it sounds without having to pluck a string.

The "go up and down" thing you're talking about is called a slide, and you don't need a fretless to do it. "Come Together" was not played with a fretless, IIRC. It just takes a little practice to get a slide to sound smooth without all the fret noise-watch how much pressure you apply with your sliding fingers, and don't EQ your bass or amp too trebley if you don't want the fret noise.

3. beaumcrunner

beaumcrunner

Dec 24, 2004
    thanks-that helped a lot

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    When I play Come together on my fretted MIA Fender Jazz deluxe it sounds exactly like the song and also I dont think Paul used a fretless.