1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid qustion but.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    How do you bi-amp? I know everyone know thinks im an idiot for no knowing this, but i am very curious as to how to do this.

2. A lot like a car stereo with a subwoofer system or even a stereo system with a powered woofer.

Classic way is to spit the signal coming from the preamp into highs and lows. This is done via a X-over, usually an electronic x-over. Highs go to their amp and their cabs and the lows go to their amp and their cabs.

Few amps I have seen actually can do this. I think some GKs and Carivins can. That is, they have two seperate power amps(with their own power supplies) and the x-over built in.

Other than that, biamping would require an outboard amp, ideally with a crossover. Of course, a cool preamp would have that too.

3. Not a stupid question at all.

You need 2 seperat speakers driven by 2 seperate power amps and a crossover to split the signal into high and low.

I have a SWR SM 900 which has a crossover and 2 power amps that can drive my 2x10 cab and 1x15 cab. I've tried it but really like the sound of a full range signal going into both cabs better.

Do you have a manual for your GK head? Can you find one online? I think it has two power amps and a crossover, but maybe someone else here on TB can give you the specifics.

4. Check out:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/1001RB-II_700RB-II.pdf

Unfortunately I don't think you can biamp with your current set up. You would have to buy one of the GK RBH speaker cabs. It uses the main amp inside your 1001RB-II to drive the woofers and also uses the 50 watt tweeter amp inside your 1001RB-II to drive the tweeter.

Can any GK head owners help me out on this.

Check the manual.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What kind of gear do you have?

6. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    nothing as of yet (except a crappy Trace 15w), but i hope to get a fender 300w tube amp next summer and i was thinking of biamping it with a 2x15 and 2x10 setup. But people are saying ill need 2 power amps, thats just too expensive tough because it would mean getting 2 tube power amps.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some bass amps come with a built-in crossover and seperate power amps. Most stereo heads are bi-ampable. I think Peavey and Carvin make amps that'll do this, not to mention any of the stereo Eden heads.

If you buy a mono head, just get yourself a dbx 223 crossover and send the output of the crossover to both sides of a stereo power amp (like QSC), the highs to one side and the lows to the other. I'd use a crossover frequency of about 100 hz (futz around with 80 to 200). Then run the respective outputs to the appropriate speakers. You can rack mount the components.